What Partition Size for Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleet

I'm going to format my main drive soon and I was wondering what is the smallest size I can use for Windows xp? Also I would like to know if its possible to make more partitions so I can have a partition for music/programs/games/etc.Would it be a better idea to split up the folders like this instead of just having everything on 1 big partition?

Well i would say give XP the most you can, If XP has alot of room to work it will be faster, b/c it can increase its pagefile space and therefor letting more virtual RAM work.

as far as making more partitions, you can do that with a utility such as Norton partition Magic. I'm sure you could do it with somethnig else as well, but i have found Norton to ba the best for me anyway.

and it depends on you whether you want 2big partiotion o say 10 smaller ones.
Basically all separate partitions do is keep you organized.

hope this helps
...AMD

You should really check out HyperOS In my opinion everyone should have it!
Its by a British company and looks low key but its an amazing piece of software.

They've got a helpful forum HERE if you've got any questions.

Someones has also started a little blog on it too HERE

The smallest partion that you can use, and the smallest you should use are very different. The smallest you can use is 2 Gig for the system, but keep in mind you will have no room for anything but the OS oh and don't expect to fit any updates or service packs on that. However that is the smallest you could go, the smallest I would recommend going to ensure room in the future of updates, and service packs would be 13 gigs, mine currently is set for 15 gigs and I have 6 gigs free (when I don't burn DVD"s, then I have like 100 Megs Free).

As for making the partition when you reinstall windows just keep it simple and use the utility provided with XP.

Depends. You can get by on very little. I'd recommend you make it 10-15 gigs in size.

You don't want the pagefile on the same drive as your OS if you can avoid it, but if it has to be on the same drive, you are better off putting it on the same partition as the os.

After the OS partition I like to make a programs partition of about 20 gigs, where I install everything to, I do it for a couple reasons, none of which are really that important, but if you don't want to do that, make your OS partition lots bigger then, because its going to have to handle every program you ever install.

After that, I recommend you make at least 1 more partition. That way if you need to reinstall your OS you don't kill all your other files like documents, music, movies, ect. You don't need a partition for each of those anymore, it was a good idea back in the day of 98 when it had to be fat32, but with NTFS you can have large partitions and just seperate the stuff into their own directories without any cluster size issues.

I'm running Windows from a 5GB partiton, and the other 65GB I use for programs, documents, etc. It works fine, but I would recommend you make at least a 10GB one. I might have to resize my OS partition soon, I'm running out of space :/

altheman said:
I'm running Windows from a 5GB partiton, and the other 65GB I use for programs, documents, etc.
So your "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" directories are on the 65 GB partition?

How are you running out of space then?

The true partiton size is 4.87GB. New Windows Updates, my old programs folder, which I can't remove because registry keys still point to them, left over junk in Documents and Settings, which I clean up periodically, means that I have only 1.96 GB left. I installed Visual Studio, then removed it again, which left some files behind, but I can't find 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back