What parts should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hi Everybody,
Ok I was thinking about buliding a low-end computer just for Internet use for my father. I already have a mointer, keyboard, mouse, speakers, cd-rw drive, 250w p/s. I dont want a floppy drive in it. And the motherboard doesnt have to have intergrated ethernet becuase I also have an pci ethernet card. I dont want a dial-up modem in it either.

So basicly what recommendation for a case, motherboard and cpu. Also the motherboard has to have intergrated sound and video. I am guessing a celeron cpu? Also what ram should I get in terms of how many mb or gb's. Is 256mb of ram enough?

Thank you very much techspot members

If you'll use XP on that machine, you'd need 512MB of RAM. How much do you want to spend?

Thanks for replying,
yes I can buy from newegg.com and I dont really have a clue of how much I should spend?

Thanks a lot

I know where to get the parts at, I love tigerdirect I always get my stuff on time and also Newegg is good too. But what I am trying to ask is what would everyone think would be good specs for a comptuer just for internet use Thanks everyone

It really helps if you give a budget. If I personally was building a system for only internet use, I would still build a socket AM2 or a (core duo ready) LGA 775 so that the system is ready for future upgrades.

Or for standard internet usage, and minimal costs, you can get a Celeron D for the LGA775 platform, or even the good old socket 478.

Thank you, Ok what clock speed? How much ram should an internet comptuer have runing win xp? What kind of motherboard? What type of case?

Bit late on this but, I recommend getting a P4 2.6ghz processor, dont let your father load it up with too much crap as my grandfather had done recently Now it is slow as hell. Get either 512mb-1gb RAM, I'd recommend 'Corsair' ram they are reliable and cheap. Also id get a cheap motherboard such as Foxconn or Asus. Asus are unstable and unreliable but if your father is only using the PC for internet use, He is most likely a n00b so if his PC resets randomly I don't think he'd really mind haha Jks jks. Try and get a Gigabyte motherboard. Most reliable i have found so far.
Ben

... Asus is one of the top mobo makers... And Foxconn sucks. Also, you don't need 1 GB of RAM just for surfing the net and Stick with the Celeron, not the P4. It gets me angry (I don't know why) whenever I'm at a store or business and the cash register or desk computers r P4 with or without HT or even worse, when their Pentium Ds. For internet/office work, a P3 1000mhz with 512 RAM for WinXP is more than fine... but at least stick with a Celeron and don't waste money on a P4 whose power you will never use.

Thank you very much. Yeah I didnt think I needed a P4. Because the computer is going to be used for Internet Explorer and thats it. Also I never knew Foxconn was bad. I found out that my desktop has a Foxconn motherboard in it maybe that explains something. Well thank you very much and now I know to avoid Foxconn.

Uhh, I've found personally Asus motherboards are very unreliable my friend bought a pc with an asus motherboard and found his pc reset every 3 hours because of the motherboard. Hmm unreliable? Ya i think so
Kthxpr0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back