Votes: 7 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trog

I have an Emachine. I recently bought a bunch of new hardware:

motherboard: PCChips P23G v3.0 Via Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / 10/100 Ethernet LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID / CNR

graphics card: ATI RADEON 9600 PRO / AGP 8x / 128 Bit / 256MB / Open GL / DVI / DirectX 9

memory: 1GB DIMM

I bought all of this thinking to upgrade my computer, now I have a problem, my CPU won't fit into my motherboard. the CPU is a Celeron D mPGA478B and the motherboard is LGA775.

I know this sounds pathetic, but can you give me a link to a CPU that would be compatable with the motherboard? I bought the graphics card and the memory first, and when the graphics card didn't fit into the motherboard (AGP isn''t exactly compatable with a PCI slot, I didn't know then) I bought the new motherboard, Im kinda getting scared of choosing my own because im worried i'll get another problem.

Another thing, should I get a new PSU?

That CPU will work fine with your mobo (It even supports Core 2 Duo's), but if you want to play Oblivion with that 9600PRO, you'll need to lower the resolution and details so it won't slow down too much.

And I'm sorry to say this, but your 478 HSF won't work with the socket 775 :(

Remember the Pentium 4 ??

The new Cedar Mill 65nm LGA775 Pent4s are selling for about $75.00. These are much improved over the Prescotts. The numbers I'm referring to are : 631 3.0 Ghz and 641 3.2 Ghz.
Anyway If you don't have $180.00 laying around for one of the Conroes, these are much better than your Celeron and well worth a look. A year or so ago these P4s were selling for around $160.00. Oh, BTW, Free shipping! Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...50706985+105101317+1050919458&name=Cedar+Mill

READ THIS: The BIOS OF THE MOTHERBOARD MUST BE 64 BIT ENABLED (though not the OS) to run any of the Cedar Mill or Conroe Processors.
(If Wolfram says it will I'll take his word for it)

captaincranky said:
READ THIS: The BIOS OF THE MOTHERBOARD MUST BE 64 BIT ENABLED (though not the OS) to run any of the Cedar Mill or Conroe Processors.
(If Wolfram says it will I'll take his word for it)

Yeah, I read that before. It may be correct, IDK.

And yes, a Cedar Mill CPU would be better than a Preshot (they run much cooler), and it appears that your board supports them.
THIS would be cool CPU :)

Nice comment captaincranky :D

Just Stuff It In......

I have a fan that was used for the 478, would that still work for the 775?[/QUOTE]

The Link I gave you is for a RETAIL package (the faster 641), It comes with a heatsink and fan with a thermal pad already in place. Yes, and still free shipping.
Who could ask for more?

the company said they would let me send back the motherboard and replace it with a different one, so that's what i'll do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back