What Should I learn this summer?

bobby123

Guys I am now free and bascially have a summer to look forward. However I would like to learn something related to pcs for enjoyment and knowledge. I dont know what to learn though, I have about 4 months off lol. Any suggestions?. I was randomly thinking programming but what do you lot think?

You should learn whatever your heart desires; if you want to learn about programming, go for it :grinthumb !

Learn how to hack a ball mouse. I need one hacked for a project at work so that you can move it (doesn't even have to be a mouse at this point) say 5 feet on the ground, yet only 6" or so on the monitor.

Do you know to work in PhotoShop? It's a nice, complex program where you can do whatever you want with images and graphics. Its fun, and I think 4 months will be enough :haha:

Lol :D ! Whatever you do, don't get PhotoShop CS3 Beta! I have it and it is ridden with bugs :eek: !

Ha! I learned telekinsis thirteen summers ago. When your mouse pointer crawls around your screen without you touching your mouse, that's me enjoying my free time :p

I cant seem to have a mouse pointer, it shows up with some magnification glass. Btw I do use photoshop.

chance1138 said:
You should learn telekinesis! That's all the rage.

Good suggestions. LOL! If you want a serious suggestion here you go:

You said you want to learn something related to pc's for enjoyment and knowledge. That's still not a very specific statement. With that said, I'd suggest starting with an A+ course. That will at least give you the knowledge. It's a lot of dry reading and all but it's a starting point and you'd at least gain knowledge.

For enjoyment, programming is very enjoyable once you learn your preferred programming language. Then you can create applications/web pages from scratch. It all depends on what you'd like to do with what you learn.

How about taking a game like Half Life 2 and creating a mod for it or creating a map for Counter Strike: Source?

If you want to prepare yourself for your future working life, buy a copy of Word or Excel for Dummies and go through it page by page in front of your computer and try everything it teaches. At a more basic level, how good a typist are you? Everyone who plans a technical career needs to learn how to type quickly and accurately. This is just me being a grandfather.... :)

I can touch type and I am pretty fast too. Is there any good websites on learning java? I have decided that I will do this.

From what most programmers I know say, C++ is a good language to launch you into programming for games and other interactive media, if that's what you're into. Once you're through with Java, of course.

Javawise... I don't know if you can find local classes for it, but they offer basic and pro ones online, the former for free, the latter for a little dough.

Back