TechSpot

What Should I learn this summer?

By bobby123
Jun 28, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Guys I am now free and bascially have a summer to look forward. However I would like to learn something related to pcs for enjoyment and knowledge. I dont know what to learn though, I have about 4 months off lol. Any suggestions?. I was randomly thinking programming but what do you lot think?

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

You should learn whatever your heart desires; if you want to learn about programming, go for it :grinthumb !

3. chance1138

chance1138 TS Rookie Posts: 62

You should learn telekinesis! That's all the rage.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +394

Learn how to hack a ball mouse. I need one hacked for a project at work so that you can move it (doesn't even have to be a mouse at this point) say 5 feet on the ground, yet only 6" or so on the monitor.

5. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Learn how to program in binary.

6. chance1138

chance1138 TS Rookie Posts: 62

Haha! I think that my be harder than telekinesis!

7. bobby123

bobby123 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 336

lol are these serious sugesstions?

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +394

Well I didn't expect you to tear into a ball mouse. But product hacking can be a pretty fun and rewarding. Check out www.hackaday.com lots of smart dudes over there.

9. Alex.A

Alex.A TS Rookie Posts: 73

Do you know to work in PhotoShop? It's a nice, complex program where you can do whatever you want with images and graphics. Its fun, and I think 4 months will be enough :haha:

10. cfitzarl

Lol :D ! Whatever you do, don't get PhotoShop CS3 Beta! I have it and it is ridden with bugs :eek: !

11. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

Ha! I learned telekinsis thirteen summers ago. When your mouse pointer crawls around your screen without you touching your mouse, that's me enjoying my free time :p

12. bobby123

I cant seem to have a mouse pointer, it shows up with some magnification glass. Btw I do use photoshop.

13. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TS Member Posts: 70

Good suggestions. LOL! If you want a serious suggestion here you go:

You said you want to learn something related to pc's for enjoyment and knowledge. That's still not a very specific statement. With that said, I'd suggest starting with an A+ course. That will at least give you the knowledge. It's a lot of dry reading and all but it's a starting point and you'd at least gain knowledge.

For enjoyment, programming is very enjoyable once you learn your preferred programming language. Then you can create applications/web pages from scratch. It all depends on what you'd like to do with what you learn.

14. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,925   +347

How about taking a game like Half Life 2 and creating a mod for it or creating a map for Counter Strike: Source?

15. retexan599

retexan599 TS Rookie

If you want to prepare yourself for your future working life, buy a copy of Word or Excel for Dummies and go through it page by page in front of your computer and try everything it teaches. At a more basic level, how good a typist are you? Everyone who plans a technical career needs to learn how to type quickly and accurately. This is just me being a grandfather.... :)

16. bobby123

I can touch type and I am pretty fast too. Is there any good websites on learning java? I have decided that I will do this.

17. cfitzarl

The best way to try and find a site; Google ;) .

18. bobby123

lol I already have took me to wikipedia in the end, got bored lol

19. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

Try Karate or Yoga.

Or start learning some musical instrument (if you aren't already into it)

20. bobby123

yer I mean computer releated ravigaru

21. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

Oh well..

I think you meant 'guru'.

22. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TS Member Posts: 70

23. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Posts: 158

From what most programmers I know say, C++ is a good language to launch you into programming for games and other interactive media, if that's what you're into. Once you're through with Java, of course.

Javawise... I don't know if you can find local classes for it, but they offer basic and pro ones online, the former for free, the latter for a little dough.