TechSpot

What Should I learn this summer?

By bobby123
Jun 28, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Guys I am now free and bascially have a summer to look forward. However I would like to learn something related to pcs for enjoyment and knowledge. I dont know what to learn though, I have about 4 months off lol. Any suggestions?. I was randomly thinking programming but what do you lot think?

2. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

You should learn whatever your heart desires; if you want to learn about programming, go for it :grinthumb !

3. chance1138

chance1138 TS Rookie Posts: 72

You should learn telekinesis! That's all the rage.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,699   +338

Learn how to hack a ball mouse. I need one hacked for a project at work so that you can move it (doesn't even have to be a mouse at this point) say 5 feet on the ground, yet only 6" or so on the monitor.

5. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

Learn how to program in binary.

6. chance1138

chance1138 TS Rookie Posts: 72

Haha! I think that my be harder than telekinesis!

7. bobby123

bobby123 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 391

lol are these serious sugesstions?

8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,699   +338

Well I didn't expect you to tear into a ball mouse. But product hacking can be a pretty fun and rewarding. Check out www.hackaday.com lots of smart dudes over there.

9. Alex.A

Alex.A TS Rookie Posts: 79

Do you know to work in PhotoShop? It's a nice, complex program where you can do whatever you want with images and graphics. Its fun, and I think 4 months will be enough :haha:

10. cfitzarl

Lol :D ! Whatever you do, don't get PhotoShop CS3 Beta! I have it and it is ridden with bugs :eek: !

11. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Ha! I learned telekinsis thirteen summers ago. When your mouse pointer crawls around your screen without you touching your mouse, that's me enjoying my free time :p

12. bobby123

I cant seem to have a mouse pointer, it shows up with some magnification glass. Btw I do use photoshop.

13. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TS Member Posts: 86

Good suggestions. LOL! If you want a serious suggestion here you go:

You said you want to learn something related to pc's for enjoyment and knowledge. That's still not a very specific statement. With that said, I'd suggest starting with an A+ course. That will at least give you the knowledge. It's a lot of dry reading and all but it's a starting point and you'd at least gain knowledge.

For enjoyment, programming is very enjoyable once you learn your preferred programming language. Then you can create applications/web pages from scratch. It all depends on what you'd like to do with what you learn.

14. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

How about taking a game like Half Life 2 and creating a mod for it or creating a map for Counter Strike: Source?

15. retexan599

retexan599 TS Rookie

If you want to prepare yourself for your future working life, buy a copy of Word or Excel for Dummies and go through it page by page in front of your computer and try everything it teaches. At a more basic level, how good a typist are you? Everyone who plans a technical career needs to learn how to type quickly and accurately. This is just me being a grandfather.... :)

16. bobby123

I can touch type and I am pretty fast too. Is there any good websites on learning java? I have decided that I will do this.

17. cfitzarl

The best way to try and find a site; Google ;) .

18. bobby123

lol I already have took me to wikipedia in the end, got bored lol

19. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,062   +8

Try Karate or Yoga.

Or start learning some musical instrument (if you aren't already into it)

20. bobby123

yer I mean computer releated ravigaru

21. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,062   +8

Oh well..

I think you meant 'guru'.

22. ITGuy702

ITGuy702 TS Member Posts: 86

23. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Posts: 196

From what most programmers I know say, C++ is a good language to launch you into programming for games and other interactive media, if that's what you're into. Once you're through with Java, of course.

Javawise... I don't know if you can find local classes for it, but they offer basic and pro ones online, the former for free, the latter for a little dough.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.