What should I RMA?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot since it has to do with either my mobo, my HDD, or my CPU (Near as I can figure). About 2 weeks ago I got a new Athlon X2 4400+ and a new WD Sata HDD off of Newegg. I should mention that I bought the Sata drive to replace an older 60gig IDE HD that would make alot of clicking when I'd start up games like UT 2004 or WoW, but never when I booted windows. I took out my old 60gig IDE HD and replaced it with the Sata, had some trouble finding the right drivers for XP to load onto it, but once I did there wasn't an issue. I let the HD run for a little under a week without any noticeable incident.
I then popped out my old Athlon 64 3500+ CPU and put the new X2 in. There weren't any problems for a couple of days, but now I get frequent reports of bad (but repairable) sectors on the HD from the WD diagnostic, and when I boot windows it sometimes (mostly after being off all night) clicks once and ruins the bootup, causing the PC to reboot itself.It usually takes 3-4 tried to get it to boot right. On top of that it clicks and freezes UT 2004 like the old one did, just not as often (maybe 5 times out of 10).
I should mention that I installed all the drivers for the CPU and the HD off of their respective websites and I still get these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I'm getting close to the date I can RMA the HD, if that is what is causing me all these problems.

I'd RMA the HDD. I'm pretty sure that the CPU change had nothing to do with the problem.

BTW, Welcome to Techspot!! :)

Thanks. So there's no way it could be a faulty mobo or something? I tried formatting and reinstalling everything, but the problems persist. I just don't want to pay for S&H if I'm just going to get another HD that doesn't work.

I don't think that a faulty mobo would cause the problem. However, MAYBE the mobo's SATA controller isn't working properly.

But it's cheaper to pay the S&H charge, rather than a PCI SATA card...

Maybe someone else can suggest something.

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back