DonNagual

Currently:

A8N-SLI deluxe
Athlon64 3700+ SanDiego
1Gb (2x512mb) generic 400Mhz ram. 3-3-3-8
Asus 6800GT 256mb
250Gb maxtor SATA 16mb cache
450w Antec PSU

I can't decide which to do first. Main objective, gaming performance. All three of the options above are about the same price here in Japan.

Option 1: 36,000 yen ($315) (new ram would be 2x1Gb @ 2-3-3-6)
Option 2: 43,000 yen ($377)($245 for the 6800Gt, plus $130 for a good PSU)
Option 3: 38,000 yen ($333)

Please vote in the poll above, and add comments if you wish.

Cheers!

I'd get a better graphics card. Most tests show that lots of ram doesn't always help, and SLI doesn't allways increase the performance. Good Luck.

While I tend to still fall on the side of upgrading the graphics card I have recently myself switched from 1GB to 2GB of Cl2 PC3200. and I can tell you it does make a difference in games and even in windows applications. but if your main goal is strictly game performance then the card upgrade would be the surest bang for the buck.

Thanks everyone. I have ordered the 7800GT and should have it next week.

iss, I seriously considered going to some better ram. Not only for the performance increase, but also the fact that I would then be able to notch my 3700 up to 2.4Ghz (or more). Ah, sometime down the road.

Cheers everyone. And if there is anyone in Japan reading this, my 6800GT is for sale for only 20,000 yen ;)

good choice on the 7800, then buy or win :giddy: another one for a kick-a$s sli conifg

2gb of ram is good to have thoguh if your plying game like battlefield 2 or C0D 2
and make shore they have nice CL's.

good luck on the upgrade :bounce:

iss, I seriously considered going to some better ram. Not only for the performance increase, but also the fact that I would then be able to notch my 3700 up to 2.4Ghz (or more). Ah, sometime down the road.

I think you made the right choice given your stated goals. But I would make a ram upgrade the next item on your list. I was allready running 1gb of kingston hyperX PC3200 CL2 and was quite skeptical about another GB actually making a difference but I can tell you that it definitely does.

snboarder113 said:
THeres Really no need for more RAM you already have 1 Gig, most games only need 512 to work properly
not true accually

read http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_you_really_need/
and 2gb of ram makes loading time a bit faster in most games, and im shore upcomming games will need 2gb of ram

Look at Vista its min recuirments call for 512 ram just for the os]

dont mean to prove you wrong or anything thoguh

Well for memory, battlefield 2 seems to run better with 2gigs. Which is funny because when the game first came out everyone was saying the game will run perfect if you upgrade 512 to 1gig, now after a year everyone needs 2 gigs to run it.

But anyway, i would have chosen the video card also, 1 gig should last a little longer yet :D

Update: 7800GT is now installed and humming in my pooter.

Wow. I get the feeling it is a massive overkill. This card is scary. I can't turn the settings up on F.E.A.R. any higher, and the 7800GT is laughing at me with an evil grin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back