TechSpot

What should I upgrade to play WoW?

By Project
Nov 30, 2005
  1. Hey, I have a computer thats 4-5 years old, It has a 64 mb vid card and 512 mb ram with a pentium 4 processor 1700 mhz processor.

Now im starting to play a game (WoW) and its an online massive multiplayer game, my performance is good but now that im doing special "quests" with like 40 other people cramped almost into a single spot it lags me up.

When I start killing stuff with the 40 other ppl cramped up in a spot, I lock up bad and can barely control what Im doing, so im basically just standing there waiting till its over. What can I change/add to my PC to fix this problem and have minimal to no lock ups?

I am currently on a budget, I dont want to buy something really expensive, just want to fix this problem. Oh, last question, if I reformat will this help? Thankyou.
    Edit/Delete Message

I posted this on another sub-forum, just thought it would go faster here.

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

CPU and memory.

A CPU upgrade may require a whole platform change, however. Memory will still help you out quite a bit though, where large groups of objects and units are concerned (like in towns).

WoW with low textures runs really well on my laptop with a 64MB ATI 9000 video card. :haha: So if you can live with low/medium graphics details, you'll need not replace the video card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.