TechSpot

What socket 478 processors are compatible with my Compaq 07e8h motherboard?

By VvWolverinevV
Jan 7, 2008
  1. I have a very old Compaq Presario (model 6LPXE1 from the 6000T series). It has a Compaq 07E8h motherboard with an Intel P4 2.26GHz currently installed. I would like to upgrade to an Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor - OEM. How can I determine if this CPU is compatible with my motherboard?

I am attaching some system specs from ASTRA32, but the demo version report is truncated. Let me know if any other information would be useful.

Attached Files:

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think that the Intel 845G chipset supported at most a 533MHz FSB, not 800MHz like that CPU you're thinking of buying. I'm not sure but the chances that it'll work on your motherboard are slim.

3. VvWolverinevV

VvWolverinevV TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 120

Yeah, Didou, I think you're right. That CPU would just run at 533MHz FBS on my motherboard, so I would only get a fraction of the 3GHz. Good call. It looks like it's not worth it to upgrade to 2.8GHz for $75 or 3.06GHz for $250. Time for a new machine :(

4. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

How about $100?
    533mhz bus
    http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=121

5. VvWolverinevV

VvWolverinevV TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 120

score! how'd you find that kpo6969?

6. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

It's my "go to" site when someone needs an older cpu or ram. Pretty reasonable.

http://www.starmicro.net/default.aspx

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.