What sound card should I take?

By Broeci
Dec 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I recently bought myself a new computer, with a Gigabyte GA-PH67A-D3-B3 motherboard, I7 2600 CPU, 8Gb RAM and windows 7. But I have a Roccat kave headset and the plug-ins for the surround sound aren't in the motherboard, so I need a Sound card. The problem is that I have no idea what sound card I should buy. I have been told that I should take a Sound card that didn't use much of my CPU. But I don't wanna pay like $150 for a sound card, so my question is: Is there a good Sound card that is in a price range of $59/€45? I think I found a sound card that might be good, but I am not sure. the sound card is a: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express

Link to the sound card:

Best regards,
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

if you're only using Roccat Kave and do not plan on doing music recording, i think a $30 ASUS Xonar DG suffice. beside the creative you mentioned does not even use x-fi chipset, it was based on old Audigy chip.

actually, you can use your current onboard sound just fine, you just need an extension to connect the mic to the front panel jack. (roccat kave - 3x plug for surround sound and 1x plug for mic)