TechSpot

What tech do you remember?

1. I was looking through an old magazine and I saw something that made me very sad. I this magazine they were explaining about motherboards. In fact during the time of magazine BTX form factors just came out.

Anyway they had real old tech like riser cards, SIMM Memory, WTX form factors. Real old stuff. It made me sad to realize how far I've come in this and to think about how useless its really been. It kind of depressed me reading the reviews of those 478 pin boards and stuff.

It also made me happy. It reminded me of the good times I had back then. Like the first time I messed with the hardware of a computer, in the "Compaq". Which was a pentium I computer.

Anyway the point is what old and outdated or obsolete tech brings back good or bad memories.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for. But back before XP if you connected a digital camera you had to use a 3rd party program, usually full of BLOAT to get your pictures. Now Windows just takes care of it.

Another thing, all (or most) of us know all about Master/Slave jumpers and needing to be sure they are correct when connecting another drive. People 'growing up' with computers now and in the future won't even know what that is, since SATA doesn't use it.

Or what about Zip and Jaz? drives. Or those 120 meg optical floppies.

3. Boogityboo04

Boogityboo04 TS Rookie Posts: 351

I miss my Zip drive :(

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

I miss bigbird

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

humm;
    learning to make fire,
    trapping my dinner
    coopersmith
    blacksmith
    shoe lass
    telegraph
    telephone
    tele-a-woman
    HA! the wonders of technologies ... :rolleyes:

6. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,094

Some more I'll add.

ISA Slots
    Game Ports
    Pentium Series CPUs

7. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

The Amiga and the 68000 series processors.

8. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

I remember as a kid being the first one on the block to have an Atari 2600! And how cool the game Demon Attack was!

9. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

clockwork train set that went round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round . well, that is if it didn't come off the rails...:haha: :haha: :haha:

10. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

I don't miss setting dip switches!

I do miss the 'turbo' button, made me feel like the computer would actually go faster by upping the mgz from 8 to 12 LOL!

11. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,051

WOW !!!!!!

12. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

Dip switches were a pain in the rump (wouldn't let me say b u t t) for me to remember how to set if I was making a change in my parents computer. Yes, that was very old school!

13. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 136

Oh, the Apple 2e in my computer programming class.

14. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

OH MY GOD I FINALLY KNOW WHAT THE TURBO BUTTON DOES!!! Thank you so much :D

15. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,094

Thats what the Turbo Button did?

16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

As far as I know, the turbo button was intended to be pushed down (on) most of the time, but some poor coding in some apps/games ran too fast so when you turned turbo off, they ran at the correct speed. I'm sure if I'm wrong on this someone like Mict, or Nodsu (if they even read this forum) can come in and correct me.

But related to this topic, what about back in the day before we used tabbed browsing :)

17. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,083

Still have to deal with that at school, and there crappy I.E 6 browsers.

Back when a 500 M.B H.D was $4-500...

When you had to punch holes in cards to run the computer...

18. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

557 electro-mechanical correlator,
    401 tabulation machine.
    1401 with 32k ferite memory
    2305 hard disk with a platter diameter of 24inches
    360 mod 30 with 64k memory with r/w times of 32ms!

19. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Rookie Posts: 2,407   +6

I kinda remember that when we got a new computer (from Dell :D ) my brother saw that it had a Pentium 4 and was surprised that they had already been released. That was in 2001, about the earliest new tech I remember. Kinda shows my age...

We did get a "new" computer running Windows 95 before that, but I didn't know anything about that thing (except it was 166 or 120 MHz, I wasn't sure which).

20. takaboku

takaboku TS Rookie Posts: 138

I remember my high school "computer" class had a Punched-card Processing class.

21. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

growing up, I remember my family's good old Apple IIe. served us well for years (long after the technology was already obsolete ;)). by today's standards it's a useless machine, but back then it was light-years ahead of a typewriter/calculator, which is all we had before that :D

:wave:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.