What tech do you remember?

beef_jerky4104

I was looking through an old magazine and I saw something that made me very sad. I this magazine they were explaining about motherboards. In fact during the time of magazine BTX form factors just came out.

Anyway they had real old tech like riser cards, SIMM Memory, WTX form factors. Real old stuff. It made me sad to realize how far I've come in this and to think about how useless its really been. It kind of depressed me reading the reviews of those 478 pin boards and stuff.

It also made me happy. It reminded me of the good times I had back then. Like the first time I messed with the hardware of a computer, in the "Compaq". Which was a pentium I computer.

Anyway the point is what old and outdated or obsolete tech brings back good or bad memories.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for. But back before XP if you connected a digital camera you had to use a 3rd party program, usually full of BLOAT to get your pictures. Now Windows just takes care of it.

Another thing, all (or most) of us know all about Master/Slave jumpers and needing to be sure they are correct when connecting another drive. People 'growing up' with computers now and in the future won't even know what that is, since SATA doesn't use it.

Or what about Zip and Jaz? drives. Or those 120 meg optical floppies.

humm;
learning to make fire,
trapping my dinner
coopersmith
blacksmith
shoe lass
telegraph
telephone
tele-a-woman
HA! the wonders of technologies ... :rolleyes:

I remember as a kid being the first one on the block to have an Atari 2600! And how cool the game Demon Attack was!

clockwork train set that went round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round . well, that is if it didn't come off the rails...:haha: :haha: :haha:

I don't miss setting dip switches!

I do miss the 'turbo' button, made me feel like the computer would actually go faster by upping the mgz from 8 to 12 LOL!

nickslick74 said:

I do miss the 'turbo' button, made me feel like the computer would actually go faster by upping the mgz from 8 to 12 LOL!

WOW !!!!!!

Dip switches were a pain in the rump (wouldn't let me say b u t t) for me to remember how to set if I was making a change in my parents computer. Yes, that was very old school!

nickslick74 said:

OH MY GOD I FINALLY KNOW WHAT THE TURBO BUTTON DOES!!! Thank you so much :D

nickslick74 said:

Thats what the Turbo Button did?

As far as I know, the turbo button was intended to be pushed down (on) most of the time, but some poor coding in some apps/games ran too fast so when you turned turbo off, they ran at the correct speed. I'm sure if I'm wrong on this someone like Mict, or Nodsu (if they even read this forum) can come in and correct me.

But related to this topic, what about back in the day before we used tabbed browsing :)

what about back in the day before we used tabbed browsing

Still have to deal with that at school, and there crappy I.E 6 browsers.

Back when a 500 M.B H.D was $4-500...

When you had to punch holes in cards to run the computer...

557 electro-mechanical correlator,
401 tabulation machine.
1401 with 32k ferite memory
2305 hard disk with a platter diameter of 24inches
360 mod 30 with 64k memory with r/w times of 32ms!

I kinda remember that when we got a new computer (from Dell :D ) my brother saw that it had a Pentium 4 and was surprised that they had already been released. That was in 2001, about the earliest new tech I remember. Kinda shows my age...

We did get a "new" computer running Windows 95 before that, but I didn't know anything about that thing (except it was 166 or 120 MHz, I wasn't sure which).

growing up, I remember my family's good old Apple IIe. served us well for years (long after the technology was already obsolete ;)). by today's standards it's a useless machine, but back then it was light-years ahead of a typewriter/calculator, which is all we had before that :D

:wave:

Back