What the deuce happened? Fried or incompatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy.

I finally got 100% of my order for a custom system I'm building for an associate. The motherboard is a Mach Speed X-Caliber PT88AS Socket 478 and the processor is an Intel Celeron 340 2.93Ghz 533FSB Socket 478; the two were bought as a set on a popular online warehouse, so I'm assuming they're compatible (even though the motherboard says it's compatible with Pentium 4s).

Anyway, I finally got it put together, hit power, and it started to boot. Diagnostics came up to where I could start setting up the BIOS, and the keyboard wouldn't respond. Total time from power 'on' to here was about 10 seconds. I rebooted, and then there was nothing on the monitor. Hard Drive won't spin up. Speaker doesn't beep.

I've swapped power supplies, I've swapped motherboards. Ram is in good condition (two 512mb Ultra sticks). Vid card is in good condition. The processor doesn't even get lukewarm, leading me to believe the brand-new processor that I've had to f00k with since I ordered it FIVE weeks ago, is dead.

Is iI'm kicking myself now, but I didn't get a processor fan when I ordered the parts. Would that cause a Celeron 2.93gig to die in 10 seconds? Should I just go out and buy another processor from WorstBuy tomorrow (at 3x the price?) Or is the motherboard fried?

Any help would be appreciated. I can actually feel my hair turning gray as a result of this headache. Thanks

-aaron

oooh`

You definately need a processor fan! Besides that fan that you don't have, is there any other fans inside the case besides the power supply??

Well, I'm now kicking myself. I only wish I could reach my foot higher up and kick myself in the face instead.

I swapped the processor from my machine to the one I'm building, with the cpu fan as well, and viola. It works. I'm installing XP right now.

I have a case fan as well in the new machine, but apparently that wasn't enough. Dammit. I've lost track of the number of systems I've built, and yet I allowed this to happen.

Question: Think it's feasible that the computer went into emergency safety mode and maybe I can just still salvage the old Celeron w/ a cpu fan? I loathe having to buy another cpu, but maybe I deserve it :dead:

Or is the processor fried? Is there any way to tell other than putting it into the machine (inevitably what I'll probably have to do anyway)?

Gracias.

:::aaron

Sorry dude, but you cooked it. Even if you only had it on for 10 seconds, thats long enough for it to fry without a fan. A CPU can only get so hot before it frys and becomes a dud. It looks like that what happened to you. Look at it this way. With every mistake, you learn something new. Always works that way with me.

yup - I burned out a CPU by overclocking. won't ever make that expensive mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back