TechSpot

What the hell happened? plz help!

By olivia869
Feb 11, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While i was ripping a movie the other day, i had put in my usb flash drive, then my computer rebooted : ( i have no idea why...anyways. So the computer boots back up, and now the keyboard and mouse functions do not work, i can no longer log into windows. i thought maybe it was a random thing, so i reboot again and it does the same thing, no response from my input devices. so i check to make sure these devices are still working by hooking them up to my other pc, sure enough, they still work. so then i test to see if i can even get into the bios. Well, thankfully i can, so it must be something while booting to windows after the post, cause the computer sees the hardware and lets me use it during setup, but not on the windows login screen. i even tried different ports, and different keyboard and mice ( ps2 and usb ) and they all will not work on this now dysfunctional pc. can somebody help me as to why this is happening? this is rather strange, i changed no setting. why working only in bios??! thx

2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

hold down the F8 key while booting up, at the selection screen choose "last know good configuration"

-or-

choose safe mode, and run system restore

3. olivia869

olivia869 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

holding f8, brings up the " please select boot device " menu, i dont see a safe mode

4. olivia869

well i managed to get into safe mode somehow, but keyboard and mouse activity still doesnt work after windows xp loading screen : (

5. blue_dragon

blue_dragon TS Rookie Posts: 278

are your mouse and keyboard usb or do they use ps/2?

6. olivia869

any ps2 or usb doesnt work, ive tried many

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.