What to do about a PAINFUL interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there --

I have a Sny Vaio computer running Windows XP.

I need help in figuring out what to do about the following.

Recently I purchased AVG virus detecter and firewall.

The virus scan portion of this virus detector program works fine.

However, when I try to createa backup disk, I end up with the following problem

Either the Windows XP or the Sony Vaio end of my computer decides top insert inteslf as an interface between the automatic capability of the AVG program to format a rescue disk.

A huge dialogue screen comes along and asks me to tell it the names of the files to be be put on the disk.

There is no way I can do that. The AVG program would do this on its own for me if this interface wasn't occurring.

How do I get around this interface? And where do you think it is coming from - from Vaio or from XP?

My old Sony Vaio (circa 1998) running Windows 95 never pulled this kind of ****ing stunt. When a new program was nstalled, it would simply let it run. I'd sure like to know how to "unplug" the interface.

This has happened with other programs as well - the AVG program simply being the most expensive and the most recent example.

Carol

Does this occur when you insert a blank CD? You just have to tell your CD burning program (or Windows XP itself) not to be user friendly and not wake up when you insert a blank CD.

Please detail blow by blow

Thanks for both your replies.

Cannot post a screen shot. Am out of town for the next two weeks, so
no way to do that.

And as far as telling Windows to be less user friendly - can you give me a blow by blow on that? I don't know what steps that involves.

Also, and this is one big WHOOP, I need to somehow set the Windows parameters to include AOL. Since putting the AVG program on the computer
involved, cannot use that computer to get on the internet.

Am fairly sure that is because AVG talked to something on tthe computer and found Netscape or something other than AOL - the browser that I was using awhile ago. How do I set things up so the AOL browser is now listed as being the one that is importånt to access.

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back