What to do with old parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatguy

Not sure if this belongs here.

I've looked around in old boxes and stuff (cardboard) of my dad's and have noticed a whole lot of old parts laying around.

Instead of letting them just sit there getting outdated I want to do something with them, make something. Whatever but have had no ideas.

SO what do you people do with old parts?

If they're usuable like CD-ROMs, floppy drives, hard drives - recycle them in new builds. Even older, lower capacity hard drives can be used as external drives with a USB to IDE adapter.

If not, sell 'em on ebay. That's what I do.
I used to run a computer salvage business years ago.
When I retire from the military in the next few years, I might get back into it.

Even older (lower capacity hard drives can be used as external drives with a USB to IDE adapter)

And if hard drives are too small even for that (I have a 0.9 GB one somewhere) and still work, keep it as an antique. :)

If you have the basics for a complete desktop eg. MB PSU CPU Ram HDD Rom
You could make a Network Server for your Home network.
You can grab a KVM switch so you do not have to double up on Mouse ,Monitor Kb $20 and maybe a larger HDD.
It would be cool for secure common files storage for all your Clients and common Backups etc.

Spike said:
And if hard drives are too small even for that (I have a 0.9 GB one somewhere) and still work, keep it as an antique. :)
I have a 10GB hd that I use to xfer stuff from computer to computer.....

The usability of these parts depends on what exatly they are and whether they are in working condition.

Some older computer components may be worth a lot of money to someone who needs to fix a priceless antique machine. The price of some other bits may be what you get for selling them as scrap metal. And yes, some things may be usable even in the newest computers.

Liquidlen said:
If you have the basics for a complete desktop eg. MB PSU CPU Ram HDD Rom
You could make a Network Server for your Home network.
You can grab a KVM switch so you do not have to double up on Mouse ,Monitor Kb $20 and maybe a larger HDD.
It would be cool for secure common files storage for all your Clients and common Backups etc.

If you can, can you point me to a post on how to create one?

What's the going rate for EDO RAM pairs and SIMMS these days? lol. If I recall, I have a few of each.

I found more old stuff :D.
Headsets, mice, lots of mouse pads, a few old drives, some ram, a CD drive and other stuff.

I think I'll get together enough pieces to make a PC to run VMware on.

Has anyone ever gone to the garbage dump to look for old computer's that might have useful parts?

I actually feel excited about this stuff :p

fatguy said:
I found more old stuff :D.
Headsets, mice, lots of mouse pads, a few old drives, some ram, a CD drive and other stuff.

I think I'll get together enough pieces to make a PC to run VMware on.

Has anyone ever gone to the garbage dump to look for old computer's that might have useful parts?

I actually feel excited about this stuff :p
Computer Salvage is BIG business. I used to run a small salvage business about 17 years ago.

Tedster said:
Computer Salvage is BIG business. I used to run a small salvage business about 17 years ago.

Nice, I'd like to hear more about that.

I bought some plastic storage boxes today, but for some reason (most likely because i'm stupud) I dont want to put anything in there that don't have anti-static bags, because I think they'll get killed by static.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back