What Type Of USB Support Does Linux Have?

By daniel161
Jan 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, you might have read this..
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95851.html
    ...post, but I have a Linux question that goes with it, so I thought I should post over here.

So, the original question was, Is it possible to charge the iPod on a 98se?

Obviously no, but I know the computer is capable of it because Ubuntu and DSL can power the iPod to charge. So I want to know is, what kind of software/drivers do those two distros use that let them send the power out?

Is it a special kind of thing that is for Linux only? Can it be converted to Windows, (Kinda like WINE in reverse).

Any insite would be appreciated!

--Daniel L
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Uhm.. The power is always supplied to all USB devices and you have to turn off the power manually per device or port. It is not a "feature", but an inherent property of USB. Most USB devices wouldn't even work if they didn't get power from the port.

I would guess it's a "feature" of your iPod (needs the computer to tell it to charge itself?) or some serious bug in Windows drivers and/or your ancient hardware. Do the USB ports work with your Windows at all? Have you used a mouse or a flash drive or something?

Maybe get a PCI USB 2.0 controller card? You would get more speed and new drivers. Make sure that Windows 98 is supported by the device!
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,342   +297

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.