TechSpot

What video card can I get?

By Kobi
Jun 16, 2009
  1. I am planning on buying the Sims 3....

I looked up the specifications and found that I need to upgrade my video card. I have a Dell Dimensions E310. I have been looking on google, ask.com etc... to see what cards are compatible. I looked on Amazon and found a few that are compatible with the sims but i am not sure if they are with my computer.

I will really appreciate any help or any places to look to find a video card. Thank you

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Looks like the motherboard has a PCIe x2 video card slot... Select a PCIe x2 card that fits you budget and Sims 3 specs

3. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

This is off CNET - "While the E310 has two PCI slots and a single PCI Express x1 slot, it lacks a dedicated x16 PCI Express slot for graphics cards." So, the 9500GT PCI or the HIS Radeon X1550 PCI-e x1 are your only options unfortunately. Both are on Newegg. You could always mobo swap but that is really hard on OEM machines like yours. I did it with my HP but I had to swap for a mobo with the same chipset to avoid lockout.

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The 8400GS PCI would be a decent card and will run The Sims 3 quite easily. Won't look very pretty, but it will run for sure.

5. teklord

teklord TS Guru Posts: 481

The Sims games don't require much in the graphics department, so the 8400GS should suffice.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.