TechSpot

What Video Card?

By gotvibe
Jun 17, 2007
  1. Hi, I play World of Warcraft and that is all I do on this particular computer. I am getting very low framerate (as low as 9), but it will spike up as high as 30 fps.

I noticed my friend has a Dell Insipron laptop and he gets 60+ fps. I recently upgraded the RAM, and so I want to upgrade the videocard. I know what videocard I have right now, and so I was hoping that you guys could help me find one that is good for running WoW, and will match the slot for my computer.

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 w/ AGP8x which has 64mb DDR SDRAM, 350mhx / 166mhz mem. speed & 175mhz cont. speed. 128bit DDR.

Also, it's an AMD Athlon 1ghz / 1.5GB RAM.. Windows XP Service Pack2

If you need anything else, let me know. My price range is ~$150, but remember, i just need something to run WoW well.

2. ColdFusion1990

ColdFusion1990 TS Rookie Posts: 124

Go to Newegg and Advance Search for AGP 8X video cards. That is the best place to buy a good card

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Probably a 6200 would be fine. Problem is if you go any 'better' than that your money will be wasted because your CPU can't keep up.

Bonus: Its really cheap.

4. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

Laptops are more difficult to upgrade, especially video cards, if at all possible. The choices if any are limited by the laptop itself. Check with Dell.
    Is it a laptop or desktop you have?

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Its probably a desktop because he said GF4MX440 rather than GF Go, and it has 1.5 gigs of RAM, laptops running a 1Ghz processor are unlikely to support that much RAM.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

An NVIDIA FX5500 is a good AGP budget card. Don't expect high end play though. A 1ghz machine is fairly slow.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.