Whataboutadog virus - Format or clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm horribly unversed on all the terminology so bear with me.

I ran the HJK scan and, of course, i have the whataboutadog virus.

I read the thread about choosing whether to clean or format and reinstall however I'd like to avoid formatting at all cost.

I do use my computer for online banking but my password is not stored in any files on my computer.

Will a clean work or do I have to endure formatting?

Any help is much appreciated.

I went through the removal process but still ended up with a couple of bak files. My AWF and HJK are attached. Thanks.

Well I see you are infected with whataboutadog and the adware software viewpointviewer. You should be able to uninstall View Point Viewer fron the Add/Remove programs menu in the Control Panel, but whataboutadog will take some extra effort. Hopefully one of the mods will come on by and help you with that. I'm feeling a little shy about malware removal right now as my last attempt went wonky, and I don't have any experience with whataboutadog.

Malware is capable of recording your bank account numbers and passwords as you type them in and sending them off to third parties who will steal from you. You don't need to save the account numbers or passwords to your hard drive for that information to be stolen.

As has already been said, you don`t necessarily have to store you passwords on your computer in order for them to be stolen.

Given that your system is infected with some serious malware and that you do indeed use your computer for online banking etc, the only real secure solution is to reformat.

However, that is your call and I will certainly help you to clean your system, if that`s what you want.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of piercedinpa only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back