What's a good brand for External hard drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm planning to get another external hard drive....since my last one is kinda dead....can someone suggest any good brand for external hard drive??

is LeCie any good???

I would think whatever brand is good for the internal hardisk would hold true for an external. I like Maxtor/Seagate products, but I'm pretty sure they are not the best.

Unless you actually need the backup software that comes with some externals you are probably better off buying an internal drive and then an external enclosure. They are incredibly easy to 'build', just open up the enclosure attach the IDE/SATA cable and power, and then screw the enclosure back together. You also get the satisfaction of having a 'custom' drive, and you likely saved money.

Agree with SNGX. That will also allow you to plug in other drives (from friends or family) and retrieve data that could potentially be lost to a OS failure.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I make my own USB2 drives from HDD I have around Maxtor, Seagate, WD.. External Cases are cheap to get. Make sure you get one that has vent holes otherwise they do tend to get hot..

it should be pretty simple to compile one rite?? any computer guy in a computer store will be able to help me to get a checklist of all the material i need to make a "external" hard drive of my own rite??

If you plan on going to a store, I'd certainly hope they would be able to help you.

If you plan on buying online, just post here what you are thinking about getting and we'll let you know.

P.S. you'll typically find better prices online.

You don't need lots of parts to make one. You need a hard drive, and you need an external enclosure. Thats it.

The external enclosure already has the electronics to convert IDE to USB or SATA to USB. So it isn't like you are just starting out with a plastic project box from radio shack and going from there.

You can check out newegg.com and search for external enclosures to see what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back