TechSpot

Whats a good monitor?

By AMDIsTheBest010
Jul 20, 2006
  1. hey everybody:

im going to buy a new flat panel monitor, and i would like to know of a good brand, thats not real expensive either.

Im upgradeing from 17" eMachines CRT,and i would like a flat panel for under $200 i know i cant get an excellent monitor, but i want it to be somewhat good.

...AMD

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

3. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 546

well, i've narrowed it down to the Samsung, and the Hyundai.

which one would you personally reccommend?

...AMD

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Samsung makes excellent monitors. I have both CRT and LCD samsung monnitors.

5. wolfram

I would choose the Samsung. Good response time, nice contrast ratio, very well-known brand. What more can you ask?

6. Mo Dubs

Mo Dubs TS Rookie

23544 Dell UltraSharp 1905FP or the V7 L19WA 19 in TFT
    Monitor Price Range: £ 124 to £ 153

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

I've got that Dell UltraSharp 1905FP and its great.

8. AMDIsTheBest010

i do like samsung monitors, b/c i have an CRT monitor form them, that i purchased in 1998, and its still running today. I have it hooked up to one of my other PCs. i've never had any experience with Dells, b4 though, b/c the only Dell i have is an Inspiron NoteBook.

...AMD

9. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

If you buy today (the rebate date expires today) there is a 19" lcd listed in the Hot Deals forum here.

10. AMDIsTheBest010

i dont have the money right now though, im just trying to narrow it down to the one that i want.

...AMD

11. AMDIsTheBest010

12. XenaWP

XenaWP TS Rookie Posts: 63

8-bit panel. Nice. Not great for speed but very good for color accuracy.

13. dazzer9535

dazzer9535 Banned Posts: 143

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Type the model number of the screen you want into this.

It will tell you the TFT panel used to make it.

Copy paste this back into the search.

It will tell you all the manufacturers and the models on the market that use the SAME panel. Believe it or not but many Apples, LGs, dells, samsungs, Phillips, Acers etc etc use each others technology and stick their branding on the front.

e.g. was just about to buy a Dell 2007WFP 20" TFT with 25% off ...... to find out that phillips are selling the same thing with a different model number and brand name on the front for £50 less (from ebuyer or Amazon). You can confirm this yourself using the above link. [edit - the Dell has had another price drop and now is similarly priced with quidco discount].

However in some cases, cheaper is not always better. If you know a particular brand does shocking customer support, perhaps the extra few quid is worth it. Howrver in my case .... i aint spending another £50 for the same thing. (well .... phillips have decided to spray theirs silver not black In addition the support differences, some may come with a USB hub or speakers integrated - this is down to each manufacturer.

To find the best price is it worth copy pasting in each model number into a price comparison site like froogle and kelkoo and seeing what comes up.

Hope this helps.

14. SNGX1275

15. XenaWP

XenaWP TS Rookie Posts: 63

The 1907 is bigger but is a 6-bit panel. It's cheaper, see. Not as in "less costly" but as in "less quality."

Ok, not everyone cares about this, but if you do any photo work, it's critical.

16. AMDIsTheBest010

i think im just going to go with the Samsung from Newegg.com

...AMD

17. AMDIsTheBest010

18. wolfram

It seems good, but it has a slower response time (12MS) against the 8ms of the samsung.

19. AMDIsTheBest010

yes, but thats a still fairly good response time considering i've seen them as high as 20ms

...AMD

20. SNGX1275

well, for what its worth. I believe my 1905FP has a 20ms+ response time, and in the few games I do play I have noticed no lameness. So I wouldn't get too hung up on response times.

21. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.