What's making it so hot?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky

hey guys, this is my very first thread!...go easy on me..

I just build a system using an amd 2500+ with retail hsf. It also has a enermax 350w PSU and the case is an antec slk3700 with a huge 120mm fan. The cpu temp at idle is always around
50-52 C. What can i do to cool it down?

dude, that's what she said

that's normal.......try a software cooler............or a better heatsink and fan if you are bothered by it

You could lower it with a better heatsink and fan as JSR said. Maybe a copper based one. Maybe some kind of artic silver type thing. But to be honest, I would not bother.

Just for comparison:
I have a 1800+ and my cpu is running between 60 and 70°.
I think yours is running pretty low already.

Yo chucky, I have a 2100+, running on the stock cooler, on idle its around 80C.

I think it surprises the both of us, how it doesnt blow up while under a fill load :D

All of yours seem a bit high to me. But then again, I have 5 case fans and a Volcano 9 :rolleyes:

50C isn't that high, I guess. If you are bothered by it, like JSR said, then get some more case fans and a $10 Coolermaster heatsink from newegg.'

And you won't need a software cooler if you have WinXP.

Telling us the cpu temps doesn't mean a whole lot without also mentioning the system temps. Its the temp diff between system and cpu that tells us how well your cpu cooler is working. If your system temp is 40 C, that 50 C for the cpu is pretty damn good!

Heh... my tbird @ 1.5ghz is something like 62 C idle.

Anyways... 52 C means little without knowing at what point it is running at that temperature. Do a stress test for 6 hours and see your temperatures then. If it doesn't rise more then 2-3 C I would not worry about it at all - you're still well within the safe limit.

Also remember that intake/outake for the case is nearly as important as the CPU cooler itself... if you don't have proper exhaust, over time the air in the case will build up in temperature... so even if you run for 2 hours and see the temperature as OK, 6 hours later may be a different story.

My temp is usually around 42C with my fan (SF2 on V11) on half-speed...52C is quite warm...try getting a better heatsink, that should lower the temps quite a bit.

Let's not compare intel temperatures to AMD temps - apples 2 apples and oranges 2 oranges. We all know that AMD chips typically run at higher temps than intels.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back