Whats so special about an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad?

By Robgamer
Jan 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whats so special about an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad when you can get a Pentium D Processor thats faster?
  2. JimShady23

    JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

    Well

    They are the fastest desktop CPU's on the market at the moment and will probably be for some time.


    With CPU's it isnt about raw speed anymore. Yes a Pentium D has a higher clock rate then the Core 2 Duo but the way it processes information make the Core 2 Duo much faster. A Core 2 Duo running at 2.4ghz is far faster than a Pentium D 3.4ghz

    If about a year ago you looked at AMD Athlon 64 and X2 line of CPU's you would have noticed that most of them where running in the 2.2-2.4 range yet out performed the Pentium 4 and Pentium D offerings that ran 1ghz faster.

    A lot has changed over the last few years and more Ghz dont always mean more performance anymore.
  3. Tedster

    Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

    these are multi core processsors
  4. agi_shi

    agi_shi Newcomer, in training Posts: 507

    What Jim said. More MHz can only be compared between the same processors (that is, 2 pentium D's for example). They cannot be compared when the processors are different (Core2 and pentium D for example). The pentium 4 and pentium D do less each cycle than a Core2 does.

    Also, Jim - I thought I saw some news here on Techspot linking to an article saying that AMD may just have a solution faster than intel's Core2... If it's true, Core2's may become a fad.
  5. JimShady23

    JimShady23 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 651

    I know...

    As speculated by many people it may just be a "saving face" gesture that is meant to keep investors interested in AMD stock for the time being. Yes it looks good on paper, but production is another thing. Only time will tell.

    I am no fan boy, I love AMD to death, they have raised the bar for the entire industry as far as innovation goes. The A64 and Opteron family set a standard of excellence that will never be forgotten. Their strong hold with the consumers forced Intel to create a more innovative higher performance CPU.

    I strongly feel that if it wasnt for the success of the A64 and Opteron as of right now, Intel's Core architecture athough inevitable, would not have been braught to production as soon as it was. Instead we would be seeing 65nm Pentium D's running past the 4.0ghz mark.

    Back to my preferance, yes I like AMD probably better than Intel for ethic reasons as well as personal however I had the money to upgrade my system to the industries currant champ, I wanted to wait for AMD but after countless hours of research I felt it was in my best interest to go with the Intel setup due to this unsure time for AMD.

    And after all guys come on, even if AMD releases somthing that is 20-40% faster than the Core 2 Duo it is way overkill. There isnt anything that this CPU cannot handle (for desktop use) and I beleive it will still be that way for about 1 1/2 - 2 more years. By that time we will be seeing Eight Cores On a single Die.

    Lets wait for the software to catch up to the hardware !!! You have to understand that there is nothing wrong with always being faster but the software developers are not going to devote themselves to the upper 2% of power users and leave the other 98% in the wind with software that wont run. Over 80% of the market (and thats a low estimate) are still on single core desktops.

    From game makers to tax software developers the lower 98% always wins. Not saying there isnt stuff out there that will give a high end system a run for its money, but it is very limited with the exception of Proffessional grade software meant for High End workstations.

    All in all If AMD releases a new monster that will make its A64 And Opterons cousins proud, that is a wonderful thing as it will only force Intel to put on their thinking caps and create some good competion in the market again. ( I so do miss the " Is my Athlon XP faster than your P4 ?" debates) :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.