Whats the best distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

im setting up a server.. mainly file (ftp and stuff) just to get some experience in linux really:)

spec: p2 233mhz
384 pc 66
40GB hdd

what would be the best distro... i was thinking SuSe or maybe even freebsd, i just want to try it out ^^

any idea's?

If you're kinda new to linux, you might wanna try Mandrake / RedHat

If not, I'd suggest digging a little bit more and considering Debian or LFS if you're a compilation fan :d

But mainly it's just personal preferance. There is no "best" distro to me. There are distros more or less suitable for specified purposes and users.

Hope this helps

You can start with a Mandrake or Red Hat then if you're totally new. This way it will be less harsh and more user friendly. You can install the version 9 or even 8 if you want. Nothing stops you from upgrading just the components you will actually use (servers). For a server, it's also a good idea not to enable the GUI startup on boot (X server).

For a newbie GNOME or KDE windowing environments are the best but latest versions of those are way too much for a PII. You can either try alternative window managers or install an older distro until you get a hang of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back