TechSpot

whats the best distro?

By Dantrag
Aug 22, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. im setting up a server.. mainly file (ftp and stuff) just to get some experience in linux really:)

spec: p2 233mhz
    384 pc 66
    40GB hdd

what would be the best distro... i was thinking SuSe or maybe even freebsd, i just want to try it out ^^

any idea's?
  2. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

If you're kinda new to linux, you might wanna try Mandrake / RedHat

If not, I'd suggest digging a little bit more and considering Debian or LFS if you're a compilation fan :d

But mainly it's just personal preferance. There is no "best" distro to me. There are distros more or less suitable for specified purposes and users.

Hope this helps
  3. Dantrag

Dantrag TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 262

im new.. but i'm not really sure...and as i have a p II isn't it better to get an older version?
  4. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

You can start with a Mandrake or Red Hat then if you're totally new. This way it will be less harsh and more user friendly. You can install the version 9 or even 8 if you want. Nothing stops you from upgrading just the components you will actually use (servers). For a server, it's also a good idea not to enable the GUI startup on boot (X server).
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

For a newbie GNOME or KDE windowing environments are the best but latest versions of those are way too much for a PII. You can either try alternative window managers or install an older distro until you get a hang of things.
  6. Dantrag

Dantrag TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 262

i'll go for red hat ... now ill just wait for a couple of parts to come in nextweek :)

thx ^^
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.