Whats the best gaming hhd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

what would be the best gaming hdd?
i was thinking of a raptor .... but are scisi hdd's good for gaming?

Depends on the game type and the game itself. Many games (dependent on your system) will only do the initial read from the hard drive on load-up and run strictly from memory from there on out. Raptors are very good drives but any drive, whether it be IDE, SCSI or SATA with high speeds and low seek times are very good.

Personally, most of my gaming is still on 7200RPM IDE drives but as I said, these games are run primarily from memory once loaded.

Your biggest kick will be in initial loading times so decide for yourself if the extra cash is worth it to you.

I just want to know the fastest...as my new system will be costing me alot...not that i care...but are the best gaming hdd 15k scisi? or would a sata raptor do...just want speed ^^

Bah, long post lost trying to get a special character in.

Short version:
SCSI 15k disks is the best.
SATA Raptors comes close.

If the % is worth it? I don't know.

It's not worth the price difference going to scsi for gaming. The longer reboots alone make it not worth it for a mainly gaming machine.

Best is a subjective term, best at what? If you are looking for performace SCSI is the way to go, if you are looking for low cost IDE is the way to go. If you are looking for better performance then IDE without the cost of SCSI, SATA is the way to fly.

last time i checked a scsi hdd was around $700 or so... compared with maybe $100 for a 160gb 7200rpm sata drive. Doesn't seem like its worth it IMO. Money could be better spent increasing your ram especially if games load to ram first. I also heard scsi drives are loud and annoying as hell, but it probably depends on the actual drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back