What's the easier way to network this;

Status
Not open for further replies.

councillor

I have (1) laptop with xp, (2) IP's.....one IP at home and a diff IP at work.

I now have to chg the IP manually to connect to work and would like a shortcut or something.

In other works:
I have one computer... and depending on where I am ( work or home) I want it to connect to the network using diffrent IP adresses for itself... at work it has a designated IP address but at home it has to connect through my local network.

What ideas can be used here...please!!!:confused:

You may be able to make your IP static if you know how to set all the settings and stuff for it.

I don't know too much about all the stuff that you should do in addition to making it a static IP.

Someone here knows the answer.

If you wanna PM 'em, try Phantasm66 or acidosmosis

acidosmosis may not be a help because he has some issues to deal with due to being fired for something not of his fault.

I believe that you can use hardware profiles to store the networking configuration changes. You'll find that in system properties, hardware profiles. Make a new one, then reboot and choose that new one from the menu, make the network changes and then try the other profile and see if the changes are unique to each profile (If member serves me correct, they will be.)

If you are not sharing and internet connection at home, the best TCP/IP settings for a point to point connection (i.e. one machine to another) is

ip 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

ip 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

if the laptop has MORE THAN ONE network connection, then you could configure one for home and one for work, and leave it at that.

you can set to be prompted for the Hardware Profile on Startup with a timer and all, like a dual boot system. Hardware Profiles are definatley a great solution, you can even disable devices like disabling sound at work and have it enabled at home.

Be carefull how setup the profiles as some people wil set them up and then wonder why things don't work, thats why I like to have a prompt at startup, eg.

Select Profile
1. Home
2. Office
3. Mobile/Roaming (Disable Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back