What's the easiest way to move files & programs to my new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my new adn old PC's have ethernet cards. Is it as easy as plugging the cable I use for my wideband connection into each PC's ethernet card, just long enough to import the files and stuff I need on my new PC?

I have no intent to set-up a permanent home network or share an internet connection.

You need a crossover cable. If your cable is crossed then it will work. You can recognise a crossover cable from looking at the plugs. If the wire order is the same in both ends then it is a straight through cable and cannot be used.

If you have lots of data then you may find it easier to just attach the hard drive from the old computer to the new one and copy the files directly.

You cannot just copy programs over. You will have to reinstall them. Only thing you can copy are some settings and saved files. There is also Windows settings copying tool that lets you migrate a large part of your personal settings in registry.

Moving stuff to my new PC

So, if I can't move progams... I loose programs that I've downloaded, like the pay version of RealPlayer, Norton AntiVirus and Internet Security?

How will I navigate from the new machine into the old machine to get files? "My Computer" doesn't show my internet connection as a drive. Do I "map" it as a network connection to get into it?

Also, I'll be migrating from Windows 98 to a Windows XP environment. Are there any obsticals/precautions that I should be aware of?

I really appreciate your insight and willingness to help me out!

In XP go to start menu -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
Run that, its pretty easy to follow I did it recently on my mom's new comp to get her files.

Nodsu is correct in that you can't move program files over. They will have to be re-installed. If you still have the install disks or the downloaded files this will not be a problem to do.

The easiest way to do the file and settings transfer is with a crossover or patch cable (same thing) that will plug into your network cards. For the downloaded program installers you can share that directory in Windows98 and get to it from XP to drag and drop the files over.

If you bought a program then it came with a product key that you have to type in during the install. Just do it when you reinstall the program.

If your software came with a keyfile then just copy that keyfile over to your new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back