What's wrong with my internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksaber11

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wans't quite sure where to put this.

I'm currently using my parent's conputer for internet purposes because something is wrong with my connection.

When I attempt to connect (with my Lucent Win modem) one of several things happen. I either get and error telling me that "your computer and the remote computer could not agree on a PPP protacol", an error telling my that the connection "faild because the remote computer did not respond in a timely manner", or I connet at 115.2kbps/9.6kbps and when I try to actually surf the net I repeatedly get "this page could not be found" errors, untill finally it will begin to load one page over about half an hour.

My comp and my parent's are usually in the same house, using the same phone line, and the same ISP. I have the drivers for the modem and have tried re-installing them. I've tried reformatting my hard drive. Neither worked.

The most annoying thing about this problem is, as far as I recall, I did not change anything about my computer before this happened. It just... happened.

I'd really appreciate any help with this. I may not have internet access for a day or two, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them when I can.

If you are asserting that your computer has problems and mom's runs fine,
you can get an approximation of the correct settings you need from mom's
machine :)

go to Network Connections, right click the dial-up account, click properties
click configure
you can set the speed, and usually, you want
hardware flow control
modem error control
modem compression
enable modem speaker

these are 'generic names' for specific AT commands which are specific to each
modem vendor. If you've reinstalled the modem driver, then the INF file
should be correct and uncorrupted.

mine is at \windows\inf\oem0.inf

jobeard said:
If you are asserting that your computer has problems and mom's runs fine,
you can get an approximation of the correct settings you need from mom's
machine :)

go to Network Connections, right click the dial-up account, click properties
click configure
you can set the speed, and usually, you want
hardware flow control
modem error control
modem compression
enable modem speaker

these are 'generic names' for specific AT commands which are specific to each
modem vendor. If you've reinstalled the modem driver, then the INF file
should be correct and uncorrupted.

mine is at \windows\inf\oem0.inf

Problem 1: My parent's comp is win98, mine is winXP pro.

Problem 2: I already tried that.

ok. the modem settings (those actually sent to the device to control it) are
generic and transparent to the OS of the system to which it is installed/attached.
the INF and even the driver for the modem would be usable in any Windows system.
The PPP protocol error is the xon/xoff and other stuff related to RS232 (ie modem) access.
Consider a low speed eg 9.6k without all the balls and whistles. The object is to get a
stable & reliable connection. Both sides (the ISP & your modem) need to sycn up on the same rules,
and just now they seem to be arguing.

jobeard said:
ok. the modem settings (those actually sent to the device to control it) are
generic and transparent to the OS of the system to which it is installed/attached.
the INF and even the driver for the modem would be usable in any Windows system.
The PPP protocol error is the xon/xoff and other stuff related to RS232 (ie modem) access.
Consider a low speed eg 9.6k without all the balls and whistles. The object is to get a
stable & reliable connection. Both sides (the ISP & your modem) need to sycn up on the same rules,
and just now they seem to be arguing.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't really understand any of what you just said.

Okay, after reading that again (and more carfully) I think I'm understanding it a little better now.

First you seem to be saying that the modem settings I would be looking at should be the same for both computers, regardless of the OS, right?

The second point you are making is that somehow my settings have become different from those of my ISP and that's causing an unstable connection, right?

If I've got all this right I'm still a little confused. When I go into the modem settings in my parent's computer I get a different list of options than I do on my computer's modem settings list. And as far as my settings being off... that was the first thing I thought of when this happened, but that shouldn't be the problem because I can't think of any way those settings could have been changed.

Obvious question here but have you done a system scan with you antivirus. there are some nasty new viruses out there and some take away your access to the net?

Crusader69 said:
Obvious question here but have you done a system scan with you antivirus. there are some nasty new viruses out there and some take away your access to the net?

Yeah, tried that, and when it didn't find anything I decided to reformat my computer just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back