What's wrong with my speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkFiNbowL

I just got this speaker today...

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...3&sku_id=0665000FS10008187&catid=&newdeptid=1

and I've been noticing some SHAAHAHAHAHAAASSHAASHAHA sound ... could it be that i turned it too high? or what? I'm just listening to 20th century plain music.. it sometimes happens. Heard it 3 times now, dunno why. I place my two satellites right beside my monitor (but they are magnetically shield) and the subwoofer on the ground.

So what's wrong?

wait it still have that super loud SHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA sound.. is it distortion? I turned my notch between 1/2 and 3/4 to the highest.. while my volume control is the highest for cd playing and general volume and wave.. could the wave affect the speakers if it's the highest possible in Volume Control setting?

Decrease the size of your sig pic. Your 3 posts in this page wasted way too much of my precious screen space and I run at 1280x960.

And By the way, we have an edit feature - meaning you can edit your thread before people have replied to update the status on your problem.

Good, I see you finally edited it. Thanks.

May not be the problem, but I would never have any volume control wide open, that might cause some distortion and hissing. What I do is start out with the on speaker volume at about mid point, then adjust on the computer to the loudest volume I would ever want. You might need to go back several times to get it the way you want. Again might not be the problem, but worth a try.

Edit: Seems like I remember somebody else had this problem. I searched the forum, but couldn't find it.

Try setting you main volume control to maybe 70% and do the same to your source volume too..what soundcard aree you using?

Sounds like a poltergeist laughing at you to me. :D

No really, but I cannot quite imagine what the sound is like given your description. Perhaps you can be more specific, e.g. is it like hissing sound? Is it a mechanical sound? When does the sound occur? Is it random, or only present when your speakers are playing other sounds, like music?

I presume that this noise is not present when your previous speakers are substituted.

My initial feelings are that it may be the voice coil of the bass unit rubbing on the magnet assembly due to missalignment.

Do you hear the same noise when you're not playing any sound?
If your cables aren't shielded you might be picking up some radio signals...

I sometimes get Russian (at least that what it sounds like) radio on my speakers late at night... It's very low, so I just turn up the sound...

Try to shield your cables and see if that helps...

.02$

My speakers are already shielded, and also it makes hissing sound randomly, but I only notice hissing sound when I play a CERTAIN CD, not sure if it's the CD problem or not, my other mp3 files in my computer are fine. ...and my sound card is built-in with my motherboard (kinda suck, but o well.. still works and it's ok).

Random hissing - Sounds like you may have a poor contact somewhere.

Try removing all connections, and then reseating them. Also spin any controls (e.g. volume, bass, treble) a few times in case they are not making good contact.

It may be that the poor contact is internal to one of the speakers, in which case maybe you should arrange for a replacement. First I would check that the problem doesn't occur when other speakers are substituted before doing this.

How are you playing the CD?

The CD audio running from the drive to the soundcard is not shielded and picks up a lot of noise. If your CD drive supports digital CD audio, unplug that silly wire.

Now that I read your last comment properly, where you say it only happens with one particular mp3 encoded CD, that would indicate that the cause is poor encoding quality.

Try and listen again to see if the hissing is always occurring at the same sections of the music, then you'll know that its really just digital artifacts, or digital distortion that you are hearing.

I've yet to hear good quality mp3's, its certainly not HiFi, and the bit rate required just to get decent quality varies with the music that is being encoded.

Let us all know how you get on. :)

Sounds like a bad burn on the CD to me. I recently had a similar problem. I burned another copy and it was fine. My problem however was with an audio CD, not an mp3 CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back