TechSpot

WhatsApp CEO sets the record straight on Facebook partnership as it relates to privacy

By Shawn Knight
Mar 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum is hoping to put to rest any concerns about member privacy in light of the pending Facebook acquisition. Koum used a recent blog post to help clear up what he described as a lot of inaccuracies...

Read more

2. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

Sounds good on paper, but realistically you know there's more to it

3. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,709   +87

Funny that he calls a $19 billion acquisition a "partnership"

MilwaukeeMike and wastedkill like this.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Wow, and just this weekend we read about how Zuck over at FB is protecting our privacy from the govt, and now we're reading about this dude protecting our privacy from FB. And he's using the USSR and the KGB as an example?! He says Whatsapp won't ever need to know your email or birthday... cause that's real KGB-style invasion of privacy right there. I knew gross exaggeration on the internet was the norm, but it's a little disconcerting to hear it from an internet mogul.

@Jos - Exactly... his bank account has enough in it to make counting the commas difficult. I don't blame the guy for cashing in on a huge payday, but it really makes me roll my eyes to hear someone say they'd pass on a pile of cash large enough to make Donald Trump blush just if it meant changing their values.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

I don't believe it for a second and apparently neither do many. Facebook has a long history of promising not to use user data for advertising purposes, only to do just that. I hope the FTC blocks the acquisition.

6. Block it for what reason? just illegally block it?