Whcih cpu is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae_amp_ika_dtp

i got two cpus laying around. and i want to upgrade this old computer. i just want to know which of the two is better. the amd athlon 1200? or the amd athlon xp 1100? thanks.,

well idk if its a 1100? on the amd athlon xp processing chip it says that its a
A1700 but it the computer bios and in xp it says that its a amd athlon xp 1.10ghz. the amd athlon 1.2 says its a A1200 on the processing chip. and in the bios and xp it says its a amd athlon 1.20 ghz so yup. im kinda guessing the xp is better. i guess since its a newer model. does anyone know why the xp might says A1700?

ummm...

oh yeah man, the athlon xp all the way, newer architecture, and the difference between a 1100, and a 1200, for what you are trying to do with it at least, is miniscule at best. theres some info from my brain.... hope your world has benifited.

Maybe because it is indeed a 1700+ which runs at 1466MHz when the FSB is properly set to 133MHz. If you leave the FSB to 100MHz (the default), the clockspeed will be lowered to ~1150MHz.

dae_amp_ika_dtp said:
well idk if its a 1100? on the amd athlon xp processing chip it says that its a
A1700 but it the computer bios and in xp it says that its a amd athlon xp 1.10ghz. the amd athlon 1.2 says its a A1200 on the processing chip. and in the bios and xp it says its a amd athlon 1.20 ghz so yup. im kinda guessing the xp is better. i guess since its a newer model. does anyone know why the xp might says A1700?
it says 1700 on the chip because that is the XP's performance rating. the performance rating is not equal to it's clock speed. here is a good chart to see performance ratings vs. actual clock speeds.

officially, the PR of an AthlonXP was given based on how fast it's predecessor would have to run to match it's performance. In other words, an Athlon would have to run at 1700MHz to match the performance of the XP1700+ [actual speed 1467MHz]

Unofficially, the PR of an AthlonXP was given based on how it performed against it's Intel Pentium-4 rival. in other words, a Pentium-4 would have to run at 1700MHz to match the performance of the XP1700+ [actual speed 1467MHz]

bottom line... The AthlonXP 1700+ is much faster than the Athlon1200

EDIT: to answer your other question, yes if you change the FSB to 133MHz, it will operate at it's rated clock speed. (133x11)

cheers :wave:

i dont get it actually. right now my "cpu frequency" jumper is at 200mhz(default) if i remove the jumper than it would become 266mhz. would my cpu (athlon xp 1700[says that on the chip]) support 266? or wil it burn it and possibly burn my mombo?

the actual CPU frequencies are 100/133. the DDR bus doubles the transfer rate to 200/266.

the CPU's clock speed = multiplier x FSB. an AthlonXP 1700+ has a default multiplier of 11. with your jumper set to 200 [100 actual], you are running the CPU at 100x11=1.1GHz. with your jumper set to 266 [133 actual], you will be running the CPU at 133x11=1.4GHz

so as Didou already suggested... remove the jumper. it will not damage your CPU or your "mombo" ;)

wow. thanks you guys. your awesome. you guys rock. i wasnt even trying to get a faster cpu. all i wanted to know was which was better. haha. thanks alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back