When I turn on my pc it says "operating system not found" how do I fix this

By Calky
Dec 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plz help guys .
  2. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

Hello Claky, plase post more info, like your specs, when this started to happion, how old is your comuter, and what os were you running
  3. Calky

Calky Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 26

Hi, I am using windows xp home edition and my computer is a hewlett pacard (HP), it has 128+256 mb ram, 20gb hard drive and 1.1ghz processor. problem started after system crshed and then when it restarted it said "operating sysytem not found"

Note: I have two pc's that is how I am writing to you now.
  4. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

i dont really know whats wrong, wiat untill someone more exprenced then myself come to help

when the system crashed what were you doing exatly
  5. Arcanum

Arcanum Newcomer, in training Posts: 202

That isn't looking too good...

You could have a corrupted boot.ini or ntldr, in that case the computer wont 'see' that you have an OS installed.
    Because you can't even boot into safemode, it'll be very hard to fix if anything is corrupt.

A way to fix it would be to boot XP CD and try repair, although I'm not sure if it'll work.

If that isn't sucessful, I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall Windows :(

BTW: Is there any CD/DVD in the optical drive or floppy in the fdd during boot-up? If there is, remove them.
    In the BIOS make sure you try to set HDD as the first boot device and see if that helps.
  6. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

I have noted when the machine comes up with this it does not see the drive running anymore
    try taken it out and load in good machine
    on boot do not let the 2nd machine do a chkdsk
    see if the 2nd machine recognizes the drive
    can you do this or is it to much
    but does sound like your drive is foobar
    when running you should be able to fell it spinning
    PS don't forget the simple stuff like bad power/ide cable connects on the drive or to the board
  7. doomsweek

doomsweek Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

Happened to me once and 'fdisk /mbr' did the trick. (fidsk from Windows 98 )
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.