When I turn on my pc it says "operating system not found" how do I fix this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Claky, plase post more info, like your specs, when this started to happion, how old is your comuter, and what os were you running

Hi, I am using windows xp home edition and my computer is a hewlett pacard (HP), it has 128+256 mb ram, 20gb hard drive and 1.1ghz processor. problem started after system crshed and then when it restarted it said "operating sysytem not found"

Note: I have two pc's that is how I am writing to you now.

Calky said:
Hi, I am using windows xp home edition and my computer is a hewlett pacard (HP), it has 128+256 mb ram, 20gb hard drive and 1.1ghz processor. problem started after system crshed and then when it restarted it said "operating sysytem not found"

Note: I have two pc's that is how I am writing to you now.

i dont really know whats wrong, wiat untill someone more exprenced then myself come to help

when the system crashed what were you doing exatly

That isn't looking too good...

You could have a corrupted boot.ini or ntldr, in that case the computer wont 'see' that you have an OS installed.
Because you can't even boot into safemode, it'll be very hard to fix if anything is corrupt.

A way to fix it would be to boot XP CD and try repair, although I'm not sure if it'll work.

If that isn't sucessful, I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall Windows :(

BTW: Is there any CD/DVD in the optical drive or floppy in the fdd during boot-up? If there is, remove them.
In the BIOS make sure you try to set HDD as the first boot device and see if that helps.

I have noted when the machine comes up with this it does not see the drive running anymore
try taken it out and load in good machine
on boot do not let the 2nd machine do a chkdsk
see if the 2nd machine recognizes the drive
can you do this or is it to much
but does sound like your drive is foobar
when running you should be able to fell it spinning
PS don't forget the simple stuff like bad power/ide cable connects on the drive or to the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back