TechSpot

When playing videos and music, they randomly slows down

By awsskater892
Apr 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I have windows vista ultimate, and I make tons of videos. In November, I built a new pc, and it worked great! no problems (specs are at the bottem). Now I only have one problem, and to me this is a big problem. I make tons of videos, with my freinds, and sometimes for money. Im going to college for video in a year and a half, so I need to do as much now as possible. The problem is that all songs and videos on my computer randomly will slow down for 4-5 seconds, then continue as if it hadnt happend. I have no idea what the cause of this is. This did not happen until february, when I got windows vista. before installing it, I completly formated my harddrive, and installed vista ultimate (previously had windows xp pro).
    Now I have no idea how to fix this problem. You now are probably wondering why I waited so long to say this, but I just finally had enough of it. I just put up with it for so long. It does not only slow down while watching and listenign to videos and music on my computer, but also when I watch videos off of the internet (even if they are completly buffered. I know there can be conflicts with video codecs? not really sure what that means, or how i would fix that, but any suggestions at all would be extremly helpful. Thank you VERY much! -Nick.

Computer specs:
    Motherboard: ECS KA3 MVP
    Videocard: Geforce 7950 GT
    Processor: amd athlon 4600 x2 am2
    Memory: 2gb
    Soundcard: onboard
    Operating System: XP (now vista ultimate)
    Harddrive: 1: 75gb 10000rpm wd
    2: 300gb 7500rpm wd
  2. awsskater892

awsskater892 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 212

Bump................
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Maybe a problem with CPU's power saving functions and Vista?

The Dual-Core Optimizer might help - but I'm not sure if it works in Vista.

Is your computer's BIOS up to date? Vista handles ACPI things a bit differently from XP, so it might require a BIOS update to work properly.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.