When Should I Upgrade??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunger_force

XMAS IS NIGH!!!! And with that comes an opportunity to update my system! I think I'm going to do a complete revamp, however, I've been hearing about DX10 and vista coming about. With a new DX and OS I know I should wait on an upgrade; but for how long? Also, when can I expect to see other cards with DX 10 support besides the 8800's (if there are already some on the market forgive me for asking a stupid question :p )

Think it all depends on how long you want to wait and how much you have to invest.
I just placed my order today for my own Christmas present, but I'm still going to wait on Vista until the bugs are worked out or until an SP 1 or such is available.
This is what I ordered today:

Kingston 1024mb (x2) PC5400 DDR2 667mhz memory
Ultra X-Connect V-Series (XVS) 700 watt ATX Modular psu
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gig Serial ATA-300 hd
Asus M2R32-MVP ATI Socket AM2 mobo
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor
XFX GeForce GTX 8800

Should be here Monday, so it's an early present to myself.
I just finished backing up my current drives and burned them to CD so I don't have that much reinstalling to do.

Jesus, that's going to be an awesome system! I think Ill go ahead with my upgrade but, do you think its a good Idea to go with the 8800?

Man you bought into death :( Quad FX was released today, and it is BLOWN AWAY by intel quad core. And intel dual core beats AMD dual core. AMD Does own the single core (Old) market though.

I could have waited, but I 've been running this old AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Clawhammer) for a while, but just couldn't wait any longer.
I could have bought into the quad core chips, but that's a later upgrade next year this time. The prices are due to be steep and I just don't like Intel.
As far as the 8800 goes, it's in two flavors, the 8800 GXT and the 8800 GSX. The GSX is about $150-200 less, depending on where you search for it, but I haven't had the top of the line graphics card since the 4600TI came out.
Hell, I don't even want to get on this computer anymore since I placed my order this afternoon.
I still think AMD has the best overall chip for gaming. Intel has caught up, but they're more an application type chip.

Lol, I think you're a bit confused on the issue of 8800s. They're called the 8800GTX and 8800GTS.

when what you want to do on your computer can no longer be done.
I still use a 3 year old computer for my house and a laptop for traveling / deployment etc.... I use the desktop for gaming and it's an Athlon XP 3200+ based system, but it still plays what I want to play. When I can't play a game decently on it in the future that I want to play, then I might build another.... but if all you're doing is general office work, even an ancient computer will fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back