Where can I download a SCANDISK program for DOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

identityless

Where can I download the latest SCANDISK for MS-DOS? I just need the files or a small program that can run under pure DOS.

The problem: everytime I tried to load my Windows 98 on my other computer, it gives me an error message (paraphase): "Possible bad sector on one or more of your drives. Press any key to run Scan disk for surface analysis." But when I pressed any key, my computer just froze. I even tried to run the computer in safe-mode but the same error message keeps coming up. And I even tried to run my computer in Command Prompt mode (Dos-Mode) to run "C:> SCANDISK" but nothing happens; it just froze.

So, what should i do? I was thinking of downloading a DOS scandisk program to fix my bad sector error and run it from my A:\ drive.

Oh yeah, I went to download.com and search for "DOS Scandisk" but the Partition program doesn't work.

Boot from your win98 cd then select cd support , this will drop you down to a dos prompt, then change directory to the win9x directory on the cd then type scandisk c:

Shiney, the problem is I don't have a Windows 98 CD. I bought the computer when Windows pre-installed.

Mic, do you know where I can specific download FreeDOS scandisk? It sounds like chkdsk just scan the drive but not fix it.

Thanks for the help guys! I would also like more suggestions.

If you need a Win 98 bootdisk, go to www.bootdisk.com.

Also, if you need to fix bad sectors on the drive, you might prefer the purchase of HDD Regenerator, it can recover bad sectors(many utilities only write them out so they aren't used) HDD Regen also doesn't affect data already on the drive.

Ciao Guys !

i am having same problem with Win98 !
when i scan the disck with scandisk it blocks at 5% ..
so i am looking now for a HDD Regenerator that i can use on my boot floppy ... do u know how i can do it? where i can have sich small HDD Regenerator?

thanks a lot

amayas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back