TechSpot

Where can I download the complete IE6?

By AlbertLionheart
Feb 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone any ideas about where I can find the full install file for IE6? The setup file of about 500Kb is no good because the system does not have ISP access until I have installed IE6.
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,712

Don't worry - found the instructions on
    http://www.updatexp.com/free.html
    really useful if you want to delpoy IE6 or 7 across multiple PCs and/or you do not have DSL or cable on them all.
    Can someone mark this thread as solved please?
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Do you realize that if you use a Windows operating system that IE is bundled as a Windows Component? It can be found in:

Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Add/Remove Windows components on the left.

And if you have IE7 and want to go back to IE6, just uninstall IE7 in the Control Panel, Main section.
  4. AlbertLionheart

Thanks Bobbye - the reality was this is a rebuild of an ancient laptop with 98SE on it which had IE5. In order to get a wireless NIC to work, the NIC software insisted on IE6 so I had to go forwards, not backwards! It worked in the end.
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

been there done that
    did slipstream back in the W98 days
    I hate software co's that shove IE down your throat to get drivers or just to run
    found in most cases you can unpack and do manual search for inf files cat files
  6. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Understand, Albert.
  7. AlbertLionheart

After all that the the PCMCIA slot in the laptop got hot and smelly and then killed the thing altogether. Complete waste of time!
    thanks to all for the experience!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.