Where is my disk space?

Hi I have a 450GB hard drive and had only used up less than half of it.. or so I thought. Yesterday for some reason my disk space had been reduced to 38GB remaining. I ran WinDirStat and it told me my hard drive had 191 GB used space (which means I should have plenty of extra space) but when I right click the drive and look at properties it tells me that I have 416 GB used space! Help what is going on here?

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard and check the drive that way. You may have a section of the hard drive not currently associated with a drive letter or you may have a defective hard drive. It's a free program and it will show you right on the screen every part of your hard drive (even if it is not showing elsewhere in other programs).
Also, you should probably run Disk Cleanup from within Windows. That will clear out old temp files.

My first instinct was to do Disk Cleanup but that took care of less than 2 GB. I ran Minitool Partition Wizard and it does show me that I only have 38 GB left although when I compare the listed folders side by side with WinDirStat they look identical (in other words I still can't figure out what is eating up more than 200 GB of space).

Back