Where is my gaming bottleneck?

zSenateKT

Current specs
win 8 64bit
CPU: i5 3330 3ghz
GPU: PNY GTX650 1gb
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
1TB Seagate

I can still play all the new games just not on the highest settings. My question is it worth it to me to upgrade my gpu? Or am I going to be bottle necked by my cpu if I do? Should I be thinking of building a new rig or is there still some life left in this one with a new graphics card or maybe some better RAM?

Let me put it this way, people get SLI/XFire rigs with not much better performance in a processor and memory. Your GTX 650 is considered bottom of the scale in GPU performance for gaming. Long story short, your GPU gaming wise is the bottleneck. For the moment, I personally wouldn't bother with the other components. I might consider an SSD for all around better performance out of the operating system, but that only decreases the game load times so not much benefit for games.

I myself have only a single GTX 660 (with i7-2600k), so there is plenty of room for increasing GPU performance. And that is not to mention SLI with multiple cards, which is done all the time with top end CPU's such as the ones you and I have.

GPU is bottleneck. Pick up an upgrade soon when prices drop (new cards have been announced/released).

Back