Where is the Anykey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

problem with ISO files

Just kidding.... However
I downloaded and burned to a CD and program called Ultimate Boot CD
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootcddvd.htm
It is an ISO file, the down load and burn went just fine.
I checked the CD and I have a lone .iso file that indicates 117MB
OK
I set the bios to boot from the CD Dirive first and put the CD in
OK
From a dead start I boot up but it does not boot from the disk and goes all the way to my desk top
What am I doing wrong?

The boot device order is indicated in your BIOS, that is what is the order of devices that should be checked looking for bootable programs.

These days it is very typical that the hard drive is first in the list. This is great cuz we almost always boot from the hard drive. But not so great when we want to boot from something else.

In the old days, we'd have to go into bios to modify the boot order such that CD/DVD was listed before Hard Drive. However, these days, many manufacturers provide a function key you can hit a startup that then prompts you for your desired boot order. THEN you indicate CD/DVD first.

Don't know your computer make/model... so try looking it up in user docs under BOOT ORDER or if still having trouble post the make model here so we can check it.

Get powerISO and open the ISO file in powerISO once its installed, VIA "File", "Open" in the program. When its open look at the bottom of the window and you should see "Bootable Image" if it is a bootable CD or "Non-bootable Image" in the case it is a non-bootable CD. You can burn your image to the CD with powerISO as well so when you see "Bootable Image" at the bottom click the burn button at the top.

You see, when you burn an image to a CD and want it to be bootable you usually don't burn the ISO file itself onto the disk, but all the stuff inside the ISO file to the disk.

I know it was a joke as well, the "Where is the any key?" but this post may become useful for someone else one day and the title will throw people off and may make them unable to ever find this topic and the solutions. If you are able to change the title of the topic it would be nice =p. Not at all angry at you or anything, its just to make it more useful for others. ;D Good luck.

I checked the CD and I have a lone .iso file
Just adding to Whiffen's comments

Think of the ISO as a zip file that must be unzipped or exrtracted to a CD
Thankfully UBCD has made a tutorial to burn it to disc

Burning the Ultimate Boot CD ISO to CDR/CDRW
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/tutorials.html

Also, I'd like to second that idea of "Edit" your post then Advanced Edit, and change the Title to something more relevant
anykey.gif

My apologies for the title... I just wanted to bring a few smiles to the forum. I shall refrain in the future. Change it if you wish.

The boot order is correct, I have it on CD drive as first thing to took for

I downloaded the Power ISO to my lap top from the site. I am not really sure how to go about using it I installed it. rebooted and and clicked it. it shows a bunch of files
Do I exact to a CD with this?
thanks

The "Tutorials" page above should help you
You don't exactly extract, the Burning software will do this for you
Open the ISO from your burning software, then burn to disc

Also you have to change the Title through Edit on your original post

Do you not already have a traditional CD/DVD build/burn package like Roxio? Nero? NTI? Each one supports burning ISO disks with incredibly simple methods which just require a few point and clicks

Yes I've stated 3 times already, but this time I'm going to be very clear.

Scroll up to your first post
Click on Edit (note: you must be logged in, to see "Edit" button under your post)
Click on "Go Advanced" (again underneath you post)
Scroll up to the title
You can now change the title to something more relevant
Click Save
All done
:)

If you could do one more reply once all this is done, then I'll hopefully see the new Titled thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back