Where Oh WHere did my desktop Go????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got myself a refurbished Toshiba Portege 3440 CT. It worked fine for a week. One day, when I started up, my desktop and taskbar were gone, vanished, kaput, never to be seen again. Right click was also completely disabled. I can access stuff via ctrl+alt+del new task, but I would really like my desktop back. From browsing other bords, I suspect a registry hack (although Im not sure). I dont have Hijackthis installed. If anyone has any ideas, I'ld be really appreciative.

Look in windows task manager by typing ctrl+alt+del. This brings up task manager. Is explorer.exe in the processes list? if not, let me know

sw123

explorer.exe is actually what is needed to see the desktop, but I have a suggestion:

hit window key+r this brings up run

type in "explorer.exe" and it might work and get your desktop back

try it let me know if it works

Sorry i havent replied in a while
sw123

Thanks for taking the time to help me.
When I try and run explorer, the taskbar quickly flashes into existence, and then is gone as soon as it came. Explorer.exe flashes out of existence with my taskbar. ANy thoughts?
Thanks again for the help.

OK

This is a start, but do the same thing you would in the run dialog box, except this time, go to applications in windows task manager, click new task, and in the dialog box, type explorer.exe. This should work. Also, what is your system specs?

Best wishes
sw123

I think it might be a registry problem also. Perhaps your registry was hacked and the new instructions from the registry say that you cant run explorer.exe

I've never been to the registry before, and I dont plan to go there ever, but if you know how to change the registry without breaking the computer, look into the registry and (what i think might be there) try the following:

look for anything that may look like this

"explorer.exe" disable=1

If its actually there, perhaps you should switch the 1 to a 0. Do you have Norton AntiVirus or any other antivirus programs? If so, try scanning your computer for viruses, sometimes it fixes them...

best wishes
sw123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back