Where to place virtual memory in two drive configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings. I have Windows XP with 2048 memory, 4096 pagefile, and two drives. My "Program Files" and "Windows" directories are in C: . The "My Documents" directory is in D: . I'm yet to decide whether to place my pagefile in C or D. I thought the most disk activity will occur in C: , so D would seem the best choice for pagefile, but I'm not really sure about this. Any hints?

Thanks,

Juan Herrera

The steps

On physical System drive root

better: on system drive in a separate partition

better still: on system drive in a separate partition empty otherwise dedicated to pagefle

even better still: Second physical drive

even better better still: this second drive in on its own cable not slaved

even better better better still: on this drive in its own dedicated partition

and if this drive is low activity like for backups or storage of photos and has low access this is also better.

Mike

^ re the above: if you are looking at speed, using a different partition on the same drive is useless.

The drive read heads(s) still have to stop accessing the program and write to and then look at the memory (a simplification but nevertheless the way it works).

The first few hundred Mb's of virtual can be accomodated by the same hd, of whatever description, BUT then the use of a second, fast HD to use the paging system is a GREAT benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back