TechSpot

Where's my file?

By LWA57
Oct 1, 2006
  1. I just downloaded a file from Techspot.com and I have no idea where it is. I dbl clicked on the download now button and was given a "downloading" message. When the download was complete, the webpage automatically changed to a differant page.
    I used my search command and it claims there is no such file (searched all files and drives). I tried to download twice. Same thing. Does anybody have a clue where I might find the file?
    I am looking for the HiJackThis file. (I have a malware program installed by a theif who's trying to steal my information) MS says this file will help copy the info so they can find a way to get rid of it.
    Thanks.

2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

if you did not set a area for it to dwnld to
    it may be on your desktop
    look for funny new icon
    should tell us what browser you use
    IE no doubt :cool:

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

one more question.. are you using a download manager?

4. LWA57

LWA57 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, I am using XP, IE latest version. The download page had a "download" icon. I dbl clicked on the icon and it stated, ""downloading". It did not give me a location to place the file. When doing a system search, it says file not found.
    Thanks.

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

try just clicking on the button once...

otherwise, right click over the download icon>save target as..

it should come up with a small grey window with a download bar in the middle (the main window) and then a small explorer type of window will pop up asking you where to save to.

6. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

with a malware issue try to install firefox use that instead and dwnld again
    could be malware infected IE
    should be options setting in IE to prompt for dwnld place
    most use the desktop as default

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.