Which app do I believe?

circusboy01

Two of the apps.that came with my Lenovo Laptop with Windows 8.1 are Driver Update, and Lenovo Update.
Driver Update says I have three drivers that are out of date, and wants me to pay to have them updated.
Lenovo Update says my computer is up to date.

Driver Update says I have three drivers that are out of date, and wants me to pay to have them updated
This ought to tell you what you need to know (n)

This ought to tell you what you need to know (n)

jobeard. Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been told that I'm being rude when I do that, and I
don't disagree. But I've been real busy playing with my new Laptop ;0)
I don't understand your reply. What ought to tell me what I need to know?
Why the thumps down emo ?

jobeard. Sorry I took so long to reply. I've been told that I'm being rude when I do that, and I
don't disagree. But I've been real busy playing with my new Laptop ;0)
I don't understand your reply. What ought to tell me what I need to know?
Why the thumps down emo ?
@circusboy01 , I think the thumbs down (n)means no or neither.

Choosing between a paid service & the vender, imo ALWAYS opt the vender - - just who do you trust to get it 1) right, 2) without other unwanted consequences - - hence no brainer and (n)

Sometimes paid utility may do well in their field.
Driver Update scans missing, broken or out-of-date drivers.
Restore computer to maximum stability.
Anyway, if this is important to you, it is OK to choose the paid one.
But if you don't care that much, sure just go to the free one.

Driver update utility that wants money to check your drivers? Uninstall the one that wants money. The very idea of such an app is laughable.
If you really need an app to check your drivers for newer versions then keep the Lenovo one.

I'd follow the Lenovo Update which doesn't require you to pay and is telling you that you are up to date. Maybe the Driver update is the one that is out of date and needs to be updated.

Let me see, a driver update "utility", that expects you to pay for drivers. Shouldn't this be moved to the "Virus & Malware Removal Forum"?

The whole deal sounds like a low budget "ransom ware" scheme....:eek:

I was only agreeing with cranky's sarcasm/humor. I'm not sure what I could contribute outside of my usual ramblings of not trusting any driver update applications scamming people into thinking their drivers are outdated.

Been there and done that. I have less than no interest in whether or not the TS is able to respond.

My post was, (probably obvious to most viewing it), rhetorical.

To the extent that this "driver update" crapware was never identified as such, (until my post #19) I'm actually a bit disappointed in the forum's treatment of the topic. The software in question is perhaps some garbage-ware, which Lenovo took money to bundle with their system.

If "circusboy" took it upon himself to install it, shame on him. He's been here for years and years, and should know better.

This whole sordid affair reminded me of most of your tech threads. Whereupon, you ask a question, get a whole bunch of well informed and well meaning replies, then go right back to doing exactly what you were doing as if the thread never happened.

So, skip the "AT this, and At that". I read your post, then I ignored it. As far as Mr. Circus goes, he's just as likely to ignore everything given to him in the form of sensible answers, and go ahead and pay for the driver update.

Last edited:
Back