Which ATI Radeon Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a new pc without a graphics card. Its got onboard graphics and sound (sounds real good!! :suspiciou)

Anyway i have decided to get a radeon card cos i cant afford a GF4 Ti. So my question is:

Radeon 9000, 8500 or 8500LE??

AND...

128MB or 64MB??

My system has 256MB DDR.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TechSpot forums

Check this out at Tomshardware.com
Article : http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q3/0207181/index.html
The more significant changes have to do with the pixel pipeline. Just as with the R8500, the R9000 has four pixel pipelines. Instead of two pixels per cycle, however, these can only calculate 1 texel per cycle. In exchange, the number of textures that comprise the end pixel increases from three to six. What these confusing numbers mean in practice is that the R9000 is considerably slower than the R8500 in games with multitexturing.

The second change has to do with the vertex shader. It wasn't till now that ATI has admitted that the Radeon 8500 contains two vertex shader units, similar to the GeForce4 Ti. The reason for keeping quiet on this was more because of marketing concerns rather than understatement. The R8500 had two shader units more than NVIDIA's GeForce3. With the R9000, these units were re-worked and optimized. If the Canadian PR department is to be believed, then the new vertex shaders contain many optimizations that are also found in the R300 design.

The third and final big change affects the video capabilities. Graphics cards from ATI have the reputation of providing high quality DVD and video playback, and with good reason. As with the R300, ATI does away completely with the circuitry responsible for this and instead uses a new technology called "Videoshader". This allows ATI to combine the optimized calculations in the hardware and the flexibility of a software solution, in the form of special pixel shader programs. During video playback, the pixel shaders remain in 2D mode anyway, so they are available for this purpose. In addition, there are completely new realtime filtering capabilities available that, for example, prevent pixelation in low-resolution videos or allow special optimizations for specific video codecs such as DivX. With simple driver updates, optimizations for new video formats can be implemented. This step lets ATI save on transistors, which, in turn, has a positive effect on the price. However, it still remains to be seen how this solution works in practice.

With the Radeon 9000 series, ATI offers a very solid 3D performance to a reasonable price, and it also takes the technological lead in the mainstream segment ($100 - $150). It remains to be seen whether NVIDIA will soon be able to hold its own with its GF4 MX (NV17) successor NV18, which stands ready at the starting line. The solution from SiS, whose pixel shader support is supposed to allow it to keep up with the competition, at least on paper, disqualifies itself in practice through the poor performance of the pixel shader unit.

I would be tempted to check out the 8500 prices and get one of those after reading about the 9000. It depends what resolutions that your monitor supports and which resolutions you like playing in as this is where the extra onboard memory comes into play. 128mb equipped cards perform better in higher resolutions (1280 upwards) than 64mb cards.

Definatley go with the R8500. They can be found under $90 (Newegg.com)
The R8500 outperforms the R9000, and does so at a cheaper price:)
As far as the memory, I don't think it makes too much difference at the moment, but in the future with texture heavy games, a 128 MB might do much better than the 64. Enjoy:)

I found a site on pricewatch.com that had an R9000 for $71, and another that had an 8500 for $87 :(

I'm also interested in buying one. Which one?

I have to agree with the 8500 over the 9000 at least for now because the drivers have been worked on for so long and you can see that it performs better. The 9000 may get better down the road but who knows. The price between the two is not that much so I would think it would be best to go with the one that had been out a bit longer.

Just my 2 cents.

KW

Are you use that you have an AGP slot? (Brown slot, topmost above all PCI slots (white) ) ? Often mobos with built in graphics already have AGP port occupied and so have no AGP slot....

Maybe you should get the Radeon 9000. Your system might not have a powerfull enough CPU to really use the 8500. Systems with onboard VGA generally have Celeron CPUs or the such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back