which budget video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekid007

hi all,

i hav a frend who is strapped for cash, but wants a comp for his room. he is going to run 98se and primarily run CS on the rig. thing is, he only has $500CDN to spend.
so he wants me to build it for him and i got this far:

amd athlon xp 2000+ -$95
ecs k7s5a mobo(sound/lan) -$59
512mb micron ddr266 -$89
maxtor 30gb 7200rpm h/d -$69
generic case w/300watt psu -$29
lite-on 52x cd-rom -$23

this adds up to $361CDN and he has about $140CDN to spend on a video card. he already scavenged a set of speakers,kb/mouse and found a nice 17" monitor on the road during junk day. so for $140CDN i can get him an ati radeon 9000pro, radeon 9100, radeon 9200, gffx 5200 or gf4 mx440-8x.

remember, he will primarily use this computer to play CS and he has a broadband cable connection. which video card will allow him to get the best possible frame rates?

Of those, Radeon 9200 or GeForce FX 5200. The latter has DirectX9 capabilities so I'd pick that one - in fact, I already have :)

the 5200 would be a reasonable choice, however if I were him I would look around for a good deal on a G4 ti4200 which right now is selling pretty cheap. compgeek has an asus ti4200 for 99.00 U.S.

I second that of buying a Ti4200... forget about DX9, the older board performs better than current budget boards.

You can check prices here BTW.

that would be slightly better

but, for your friend? and, not you? go with the onboard geforce 4 mx/8x w/ the nf2 boards that also have onboard soundstream,which is better than audigy, get a better deal on memory, up some of your other specs, and your good to go:grinthumb .......because, believe me, you are going to incur more incidental costs (remote keyboards/mouse/speakers/sub/router/crap you name it.....and, it's not like CS is a demanding game graphically that the mx can't easily handle

It's not a huge problem for the vid card. I run a cheap *** video card, an Abit GeForce 4 MX400 64MB, I get top notch performance (60fps on CS) and all other games run very smoothly (WarCraft III, C&C generals, Unreal, etc.) and this card doesn't even match up to a GeForce 4 Ti series, let alone geting a ap size of 128MB.

In my opinion, you can buy a really awesome GeForce 4 Ti 4200 for about 100bucks, XFX has a pretty good one, though, I'd give you a link but you probably buy from canadian stores.

$100 US?!?!?

thats $140 cdn, which should fall into his budget, but the cheapest ti4200 card i found was $175 for a 64mb gainward card.
should i lend his like $40 so he could get a better card? this would be a little tricky since he wants to save a few $$ and get an mx440-8x. from what i heard, it plays CS very well, so put yourself in my shoes, what should i do?

Here is the link for the video card I talked about. It's about $114 USD and the site is http://www.newegg.com . Yet, they only ship inside the US :(

I'd be a friend and lone your friend some money, it's worth it. :grinthumb

didn't you read

he get's 60fps with the geforce mx.........it comes with the nf2 boards..........as does soundstream............how about 0 dollars canadian...........upgrade the mobo.....go dual channel....do it up on the peripherals

I'm looking to buy a new video card also, but I want to spend around $200, would most of you recommend the Radeon 9700? I've never owned an Ati card but from the benchmarks I've looked at make the 9700 the best choice for around $200, what do you think?

If you can find a Radeon 9700 (non-pro, I presume) for $200, then grab it. Its much better than the current crop of mid-range graphics cards such as nVidia FX5600, Radeon 9600, etc. and they won't be available to too much longer I suspect.

I am runnning a 9500 pro and am very pleased with it. but a 9700 pro or even a 9700non pro for 200.00 would be a great deal.

i would opt for a nforce 2 if its going to be games like cs its more than enought and you could spend more money on ram en cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back