Which computer should router's setup CD goes to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

I have two desktop computer: window xp and window vista. My window xp's cable modem is connected to a router and I've install a wireless-G USB adapter to my window vista so they can share internet access. I am planning on reformat both of them, I know the USB adapter's setup CD goes to window vista, but I am not sure which computer should router's setup CD goes to, window vista or window xp? Thank you

Thank you. I also want to know which device should I install first: the USB adapter or the router?

Welcome to TechSpot

Either one XP/Vista, really don't need to run the CD, but if you're new to this stuff you might as well run it. It will help you setup your Router. Do the router first. Then setup your G-usb adapter after you got the Router up and running on both your LAN (your home network) and your WAN ( you internet).

I've reformated my window xp one month ago right after the router is setup, if the router's setup CD had ran on my window xp, wouldn't it be erased as well? The intersting thing is after I've done the reformated, the router still work, I didn't have to re-install it. Is it because I ran the setup CD on my other computer?
In my window vista, I only seen USB adapter listed in Device Manager, I couldn't see the router list in either one of them.

Yesterday, I set-up a Belkin router to my desktop which runs Vista. But the wireless card is in my Dell pentium III with Windows XP. Currently, both computers are running fine on the ethernet.

My software just indicated I need to reboot my computer to install software I downloaded 1/2 hour ago. Bye-Bye.

Christopher

You can access your router on any PC on your home network by using the router assigned IP address in your browser.

adu123 said:
If I reformat window vista, will I have to re-install the USB adapter

Yes you would have to install new drivers for the USB NIC adapter only if Vista can not install drivers on its own. More in likely you would have to install the drivers for the USB NIC. Also if the laptop is a New one you need to go to the Manufacturer web site and download current drivers for your laptop for vista as well as for the hardware, chipset, video, modem, nic, sound an etc..

Apparently you have a router that has both USB and Ethernet ports.

As long as you stick to using Ethernet, the CD is totally unnecessary, as
ethernet uses the NIC interface and not the USB :)

Jobeard you think that's what the user has? I mean I have a cable modem with both ethernet and USB for connection to the router if it has it that way, but in my case nope!

Does that mean I don't have run the router's setup CD on my window xp after I reformat it?

Exactly! :) when connected via ethernet, the router is a Network device, not
a USB device
and it is accessed for setting configurations using the browser and the router's 'default ip address'

I have just finished setting up a ghastly modem made by something like Huwaei which has 1 each of both ethernet and USB connections. The setup CD for this thing was missing/thrown out of the pram so I just assumed this was a modem. On plugging the thing in using the ethernet I discovered it was a router as well and once I had set up DHCP and downloaded some drivers for it, it would work like this through either port. Perhaps not so ghastly after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back