TechSpot

which conditions to 2 VGA can run with SLI mode????

By Zaracattle
May 3, 2006
  1. I had a Geforce 6600 SLi, if I want to run n Sli mode,is it needed to buy a another VGA which is same model,same manufacture....I can buy a Geforce 6600 GT to run in Sli mode ?????

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Just to confirm, you have a 6600 (not GT) and you are thinking of buying a 6600GT to put them in SLI?

As far as I know, it can't be done. You need a second 6600 for SLI. But you CAN mix and match different makers, speeds and sizes. It just needs to be the same GPU.

(from http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_rel80.html)

3. kangaruffian

kangaruffian TS Rookie Posts: 175

Both have same GPU = NV43

4. Zaracattle

Zaracattle TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a lots!!!!

5. DonNagual

I know sometimes the chip is also called the GPU, but I am pretty sure that in
    this case they are not talking about the "chipset" being the same.

I notice that it doesn't say you CAN'T sli with unmatching GPUs... interesting.

Yet I have not been able to find any information confirming that it CAN be done. I'd say it's probably best to assume that if you want to sli the 6600, you'd best stick with a second 6600 (not a 6600GT).

6. DonNagual

But, something that HASN'T been said in this thread yet....

6600 (vanilla) in SLI doesn't make sense to me really.

I mean, a single 7600GT or a 6800GS, even a 6800GT would be a faster option than two 6600s.

7. kangaruffian

kangaruffian TS Rookie Posts: 175

Yup.. agree not much point

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.