Which cooler to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_17

Hi al!!

I know there are other threads with this subject.

Here I can choose from this list of cpu coolers. It's for an Athlon XP 2800. Currently useing the stock cooler/fan:

- VOLCANO 11 Thermaltake
- VOLCANO 6 Thermaltake
- TR2-M2 Thermaltake
- TR2-M1 Thermaltake
- TITAN PIV TTC-W2T S478

Thank you very much!!!

As usual, I'll simply say Thermalright SLK-800 with any 80*80 fan on it.:)

There's also the SLK-900 which works with the 4 mounting holes around the socket if you have them.

Originally posted by Didou
As usual, I'll simply say Thermalright SLK-800 with any 80*80 fan on it.:)

There's also the SLK-900 which works with the 4 mounting holes around the socket if you have them.

Pity he can only choose from the list he posted Didou ;)

Well from your list you can drop the bottom one (TITAN PIV TTC-W2T S478) as its for the P4 (PIV) socket 478. So its not really suited for use with an Athlon.

For the VOLCANO 11 Thermaltake find out if its the Xaser edition model. If it is then its quite a decent choice for a heatsink. Rated up to 3400+.

Thermaltake don't list the Volcano 6 as one of their products anymore so you would probably end up with something that maybe only just supports a 2800+.
The only info for Volcano 6 I found was about the Volcano 6Cu which is only rated up to 2100+ so that is another one to avoid.

This leaves two other heatsinks which might be ok for 2800+

- TR2-M2 Thermaltake
- TR2-M1 Thermaltake

Both these are from a subsidury of Thermaltake and are rated upto and above 3400+. The M1 runs at a set speed and generates 21dBA. Whilst the slowest speed of the variable M2 generates 20dBA. So for me I would go for the Volcano 11 (if its the Xaser edition model) or the M1 unless you plan on doing a lot of overclocking on that chip (in which case the variable speed fan on the M2 would be useful).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Arris, I also thought of the Volcano 11 in the beggining. The titan model I saw there was the same as the socket 478 but for athlon. The base and clip was a little different.

The volcano 11 is quite good for me. I'm not overclocking my cpu for now. A good plus is that it looks good from the window. It's not very quiet, but I don't care. My case has 7 case fans, 6 of them are sunon tornadoe's so they do quite the sound of an airplane :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back