Which Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilliak

OKay im wondering what graphics card to get?

Nvidia 8600gts only has 32 processors im wandering what does that meen will it play company of heroes at full everything or no like can someone explain what shader clocks are and everything please im trying to understand this and one omre thing i have a geforce 8200achipset onbaord gefroce 8200 and i want to know its processors/ can someone tell me>?

First off... it would be in your best interest to provide us with more in-depth system specs like OS, RAM, and processor speed so we can give you more accurate feedback.

There are many different models of the 8600gts with varying core and memory clock speeds. The cards all perform differently and also come with varying amounts of VRAM or video memory. I would do a little research on different versions of the card and see which one has the best cost/performance ratio and pick that one. Most 8600 GPUs should be able to run CoH at pretty high-end settings granted that you're CPU can keep pace.

On a side note, there are a some good online resources that compare and test GPUs and compile the results in an in-depth review. This might be something to look forward to when shopping around for high-end PC equipment. Guru3D, HardOCP, and Tom's Hardware to name a few.

First things first,
Add you System Spec in your profile.
Any Plug and Play device depends on the motherboard slots.
PCI,AGP or PCIx

The 8600GT does not have 32 processors, it has 32 Stream processors, which are shade renders. A graphics card typically has one GPU which is basically equivalent to a CPU of a computer but dedicated to more geometrical applications. The main thing you want to look at is the clock speed and the memory speed on the card. The amount of stream processors your onboard graphics has probably wont mean very much to you, but you can check out its specs here.

The 8600GT will be able to play that game on higher settings yes, but it is also dependent on your computers specs.

Most of it depends on your other system specs like RAM, CPU, Motherboard, etc. Stream Processors are basically the little processors that handle all the textures and 3d stuff like that. Usually the more the better.

The 8600GTS is an outdated card though and not worth the money. There are much better cards you can get for better prices. I would recommend the 9600GT as it uses about as much power (maybe a little more) for more than twice the power. It almost doubled my 3D mark score from my 8600GTS. The GTS is outdated now and too expenisve for the gaming power it gives (Which is not a lot)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186034

An answer to your question in how many Stream Processors there are, there are 16.

kk my computer specs
Processor: AMD X2 2.5 ghz
2gb ram KINGSTONG its running at like 667
A ECS Geforce8200A motherboard (AMD VERSION)
Soundblaster audigy SE EAX 3 or w/e
if you need anyhting else reply

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
The 8600GTS is an outdated card though and not worth the money. There are much better cards you can get for better prices. I would recommend the 9600GT as it uses about as much power (maybe a little more) for more than twice the power. It almost doubled my 3D mark score from my 8600GTS. The GTS is outdated now and too expenisve for the gaming power it gives (Which is not a lot)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186034

An answer to your question in how many Stream Processors there are, there are 16.

Depends on if he is using PCIe 1.0 or 2.0. If he is using the first generation x16 version of the bus then the 9600GT will do him little good for the money. For the price of the card you have recommended, you can get 2 8600GT and SLi them which would work quite well on a 1.0 setup imo. I'm not sure if 2 8600 GPUs would even compare to one 9 series in PCIe 2.0 but the 9600GT will be limited to half of it's potential on x16... and thus be of half the value to him.

well heres the games i play
i want to play the new command and coquers comming out
i like playing command and conquer generals zero hour
COH(compnay of heroes)
Gears of war
and guild wars
And a couple of FPS and RTS like Dawn of war and maybe a couple of new games coming out but if someone could narrow it down to those games and what i would need?
I dont do much hardcore gaming graphics so if you can give me a graphics card that will support COH at full specs and im trying to find something at 130 max money so that might help and can someone else tell me what PSu ill need thanks in advance???

EXCellR8 said:
Depends on if he is using PCIe 1.0 or 2.0. If he is using the first generation x16 version of the bus then the 9600GT will do him little good for the money. For the price of the card you have recommended, you can get 2 8600GT and SLi them which would work quite well on a 1.0 setup imo. I'm not sure if 2 8600 GPUs would even compare to one 9 series in PCIe 2.0 but the 9600GT will be limited to half of it's potential on x16... and thus be of half the value to him.
The AMD780G chipset uses PCI-E 2.0 so it will use the 9600GT to its full power.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
The AMD780G chipset uses PCI-E 2.0 so it will use the 9600GT to its full power.

Then yes, the 9600gt would be the better choice but keep in mind that both the 9600 and 8600 GPUs are mainstream chips. Since I know now that he is using the second version of the bus, I would recommend of course an 8800 or 9800GT but since that Foxconn unit is around what he is willing to spend I think it would be a practical buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back