Which hard drive is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easystreet

I am going to buy a new HDD and I am slightly dumb on this issue. I know that a good one could really improve my performance.

I am running a

3.0e ghz
abit IC7 (runs sata)
1gb ram
winfast a310
and a 60GB maxtor / 5400rpm / 2mb / ide

here is the link, please give any opinions on the drives on this page as i am not sure what to look for

<href = "http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Productinfo.aspx?ProductID=13606">

thanks

320 GB Maxtor Diamondmax 21 ATA133 7200rpm 16MB cache

Size is what everyone goes for. But as long as you have 7200rpm and 16mb Cache then there is no real difference.

Unless you want a SCSI 10,000 RPM HDD which is alot more expensive

I believe your mobo is sata1 and the hdd you are looking at is sata2. It will work fine and will give you a little future proofing should you decide to get a sata2 mobo at a later date!!!!

Western Digital is an excellent choice, and I would have said Maxtor, and maybe they will be okay for awhile. However, since Seagate bought them up, they will find a way to mess up the Maxtor technology, soon enough.

Yes Raptor drives are definitely a desireable piece of equipment! They run a bit WARM tho.....

Betageek48 said:
Yes Raptor drives are definitely a desireable piece of equipment! They run a bit WARM tho.....

The heat can be taken care of with a simple fan(I've got a 92mm mounted right infront of mine and it runs at 35C),the price is what turns most people off. They are an exelent drive though and they are cheaper than they once were.

Betageek48 said:
Western Digital is an excellent choice, and I would have said Maxtor, and maybe they will be okay for awhile. However, since Seagate bought them up, they will find a way to mess up the Maxtor technology, soon enough.

Maxtor was messed up before seagate came along ,maybe they will fix it instead
seagate has been my steadfast for 5 years.
check out your hard drive history
you realy want to get hard drive serious get a scsi adapter go scsi
oh ya don't put all yer eggs in one basket
2 -160 drives or 2 -200gb drives
heat is the killer,nice slow fan in and out right across drives

That of course is if they have all that disposeable income we all keep hearing about I never had any problems with Maxtor drives. The last time I bought a pair of Seagates, they were identical, and one had a serial number one digit higher than the other one. They would not run in a raid 0 or raid 1 array no matter what I tried. They sucked, and Compusa would not take them back so I would up giving them away. I built them into systems and sold them really cheap. separately they had half a chance of working for somebody..... LOL!

No matter what brand, drive failures are common. Whatever you buy, buy two, so you can back up your stuff. I honestly don't believe any single brand is better than the other. Some have 5 years warranties, others are 10,000 RPM, others generate low heat and noise... But no manufacturer bests the others based on brand name alone.

Try www.storagereview.com if you want to base your decision on performance. :)

fantastic guys, cheers. I did not think i would kick of a live debate:)

i know what to look for now as the brand i dont care that much about more the specs.

I have a 220Gb external for backups anyway so it is just a low cost, high performance combo everyone wants:) that i am searching for.

MAXTORS SUCK!!! my company was using maxtors and server after server was crashing because of those crappy drives - now we switched over to all western digital and we havent had any problems since!

STAY AWAY FROM MAXTOR - only good thing about them is the cheap price.

i used to think maxtor was quite good but since i got my drive i read a few things on here and found out that i should have gone for something else :D

i wouldn't get another one, i want to replace this one because it accounts for 90% of the noise that my pc makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back