Which hard drive to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcatmk2123

I cant decide on which brand of HD to get. Ive recently had computer problems once again which and are now purchasing as internal HD to convert to external for ghosting and backups. Im torn between the

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133

and

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

The conflicts Im having is that the WD supposedly runs hot even though it has a 77% excellant rating (newegg.com) and I have a 30GB WD thats running on 8 years now with no problems, granted its been connected but powered on/off as needed (more of a backup OS drive). The maxtor doesnt have heat problems with a 73% excellant rating(newegg), but Iv been using a 200 GB Maxtor for the last 5 years, and have had to reformat it at least 26 times due to read errors, file corruption etc. that may or may not have been all software related (viruses and such). The differences between the two are the data connection types and the Maxtor has 16mb cache, WD 8mb. Should I try the WD even though it has a heat problem that will be used almost exclusivle for backups externally setup, or take a chance with the maxtor and hope I dont have to reformat that many times as my current one? Thanks.

I am with Sam, make mine a Seagate. if you are buing this for an external USB connected drive I would go IDE. if you Go sata choose your external enclosure carefully to avoid compaitability issues with the external enclosures controller and your chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back